It’s not a guy’s trip out of town until you’re packing things into cars in the rain for your return trip.
- The outpouring of love in the tributes that followed Cedric Benson’s passing were touching:
It's been a rough day for everyone who knew & loved Cedric Benson. Still can't believe it. He was a great man & an incredible running back. He made me a better football player & for that I am forever grateful. Truly heartbroken over his death. Rest in peace Ced. We love you. 🙏🏿 pic.twitter.com/Txeo7pFakP
— Thomas Q. Jones (@thomasqjones) August 19, 2019
View this post on Instagram
The first time I saw Cedric Benson, he was a sophomore at Midland Lee and we would compete against each other in the 3rd round of the Texas High school playoffs at Angelou State University. Little did I know that I was witnessing birth of one of the best running backs in Texas high school football. I’m honored to have had the privilege of being your teammate. Please keep the Benson family in your prayers. #TexasLegend #RIPCedricBeson #ToughWeek
View this post on Instagram
To my man Cedric B. I remember hearing all of these football stories about you when the bears drafted you 4th overall. You and I always got along..even with pads on, if I hit you or you hit me a little harder than usual..it was always followed by an apology..which was followed by a "you good". You ran all over us when you played for the Bengals. As mad as I was at the way we played that day. I gave you the biggest hug after the game..because I was so damn proud of you. R.I.P. #32
View this post on Instagram
Very sad news today to hear of the passing of my friend and former teammate Cedric Benson. Ced and I became fast friends during his short stay in Green Bay, and would spend many lunch hours in the cafeteria talking about life and football. Ced was very smart and thoughtful and I always walked away from our conversations feeling like I learned something or wanted to go research something so that I could keep up with him in our conversations. Love and prayers to his family and friends, thanks CB for the inspiration, you will be missed. 🙏🏻 #05draftclass #GBP #RIP
A Texas Legend. Never easy hearing news like this. I followed Ced B at Midland Lee and Texas before getting to be teammates my rookie year. Praying for the Benson family. John 11:25-26 pic.twitter.com/0mCPQIRfRv
— Andy Dalton (@andydalton14) August 19, 2019
- What a runner:
Thank you for the memories, Cedric. A true Longhorn Legend. pic.twitter.com/9gtoqo7ohi
— Texas Football (@TexasFootball) August 18, 2019
- Benson had a complicated legacy in Chicago because he never reached the heights fans thought he would when the team drafted him with the fourth overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. But outside the lines, Benson was a popular teammate and respected friend and will be missed by those who cared about him. May he rest in peace and may his family find strength in what is understandably a tough time.
- Kevin Kaduk (Yahoo Sports) had a unique perspective in having covered Benson on the Bears beat during his playing days, which made this excerpt from the Yahoo Sports Newsletter a great read.
- Moving onto the present-day Bears, their kicking competition, and a comparison that simply blew my mind:
Hear me out: Two guys competing for the same thing (kicking job/Bachelorette) who are good friends (as Pineiro/Fry were), sad to see the other go but happy to win (the competition/get engaged). But just because someone wins/gets engaged doesn't mean he'll keep the job/get married https://t.co/6kDsNuwzPC
— JJ Stankevitz (@JJStankevitz) August 18, 2019
- Even after the Bears waived Elliott Fry on Sunday morning, there is still a lot for Eddy Piñeiro to do in order to win this kicking job for good.
- At first blush, I thought the timing was odd … but it makes sense after stepping away and sleeping on it. In a way, this decision was the Bears telling us that (at minimum) they weren’t sure if Piñeiro was the guy for them, but were certain Fry wasn’t going to be their guy. Parting ways with Fry now allows the Bears’ coaches and talent evaluators to give Piñeiro their full and undivided attention. If Piñeiro impresses, then he’ll be on the roster on September 5. But if he doesn’t do the thing or a better option presents itself, Piñeiro will be gone. So if anyone asks you to weigh in on the Bears’ kicking competition, just know that it’s far from over in Chicago.
- I, too, am expecting a big year from Mitch Trubisky:
The more I read on the @ChicagoBears the scarier this team gets..
I'm expecting a big year for Mitch Trubisky.
— ThePhillyGodfather (@phillygodfather) August 19, 2019
- Elsewhere in Bears camp, Larry Mayer (ChicagoBears.com) offers up cornerback Clifton Duck as the player who helped himself the most with a strong showing against the Giants in preseason Week 2. The undrafted free agent rookie from Appalachian State stood out during training camp practices throughout the summer, then made a remarkable interception when his number was called in a game situation. Duck showed off his playmaking skills in college, but doing so last Friday should grant him more opportunities over the final two preseason games. The Bears’ secondary is crowded, which is why Duck’s standout performance could ultimately bode well for him in the long run. I’m curious to see how he follows it up on Saturday against the Colts.
- I see the Lions are in midseason form:
.@Lions that was one awful showing @HoustonTexans . What are you trying to be? What have you been working on? You give fans and the @NFL every reason to do “AWAY” with preseason when you put this product on the field. #BaldysBreakdowns pic.twitter.com/4TeDttFjg4
— Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) August 18, 2019
- Oh boy, so are the Vikings:
That Paxton Lynch hit was baaaaaaaad pic.twitter.com/BduSwGBFcu
— Evan Webeck (@EvanWebeck) August 19, 2019
- The Raiders have gone from giving Antonio Brown new cash to issuing “all-in or all-out” ultimatums in the matter of months:
GM Mike Mayock issued a statement today regarding Antonio Brown. pic.twitter.com/5ueLsrOmid
— Oakland Raiders (@Raiders) August 18, 2019
- Do you think Khalil Mack takes a private moment to laugh about what’s happening in the wacky world of Raider Nation?
- Good deals today at Amazon, including air fryers and NERF toys.
- It’s wild to think about Richard Dent as an 8th-round pick:
— Bears Talk (@NBCSBears) August 19, 2019
- I missed the annual Air and Water Show in Chicago because while I was out of town, but this view is nothing short of breathtaking:
What a VIEW! 🤩#ChiAirandWater
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) August 18, 2019