The whole point of a pre-order was to have the music available as immediately as possible. So while I’m miffed about not having the new Taylor Swift in my phone until this morning, I would have rather listed to it last night. I’ll get to listening at some point today … I just don’t know when.
- An important thread to start our day:
- Different emojis have different connotations for folks. And now we know that the “yikes!” emoji means other things to different people. It’s a lesson learned for all of us. I feel as if most of our followers and readers know we don’t root for or celebrate injuries. And people who know me know that I’m a believer in karma, so the last thing I wanted to (even if it was by proxy) was to put something like that out into the universe. But I learned from some radio friends I met during my college years that your audience changes every 15 minutes, and while that isn’t 100 percent applicable to the nature of the web, the concept still fits.
- I have been pretty “meh” about the preseason for a long time. There is nothing predictive that comes from those four games. The Lions went 4-0 in the preseason before going 0-16. The Bears were winless in the preseason before their 2010 run to the postseason. But Cameron Meredith’s season-ending (and now we know, career-altering) injury in preseason Week 3 back in 2017 might have been the big-time eye-opener for me. I feel as if the more teams pull back on their starters and regulars, the closer we will get to fans pushing back and pulling out their money from preseason games. From there, the NFL will have to make an adjustment to strike a balance and do right by their fans (and players).
- Even a grizzled, long-time center might be changing his tune on the preseason:
- No stone left unturned in the hunt for a new kicker, right?
- Soccer star Carli Lloyd caught our eyes with her big-time practice kick in yesterday’s Bullets, but that there is interest in her taking her talents from fútbol to football certainly raises an eyebrow.
- As does this from Hall of Fame talent evaluator Gil Brandt:
Honestly, I don't think it will be long before we see a woman break through this NFL barrier. I'd give her an honest tryout if I were, say, the Bears. https://t.co/pyIlIY6Jxv
— Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) August 20, 2019
- Just wait until the Bears start blitzing:
A lot of ways to create pressure, but these teams had the most success last season getting to the quarterback without sending extra defenders.#LARams #Jaguars #Steelers #GoPats #ChiefsKingdom #RavensFlock #Dolphins #49ers #Bears #Seahawks @gregcosell | @MattBowen41 pic.twitter.com/HwYXv4TKdi
— NFL Matchup on ESPN (@NFLMatchup) August 22, 2019
- Chuck Pagano has strong feelings about his return to Indianapolis. You can catch a snapshot of his feelings here, via some quotes at the Colts’ website.
- On the other side of the ball, these stats are encouraging for the Bears:
Finishing red zone trips with touchdowns is critical for a strong offense. Let's take a look at which teams had the most success with that in the 2018 season.#Steelers #Chiefs #Bengals #Saints #Colts #Bears #Browns #Seahawks #Cardinals #Chargers @gregcosell | @MattBowen41 pic.twitter.com/ruDZbFOQPb
— NFL Matchup on ESPN (@NFLMatchup) August 23, 2019
- If you get to the red zone and score touchdowns, there won’t be so much stress about who’s kicking field goals.
- Michael is soooooo gonna draft David Montgomery with his first pick in every fantasy draft he participates in:
Forte was then asked if Montgomery could gain 1,000 yards this season:
"Yeah I think it's possible. Just depends on coach Nagy and how much they're going to use him. I know that they don't want to overuse him in his first year and wear him out."
— Matt Eurich (@MattEurich) August 22, 2019
- Bluetooth speakers, Dyson vacuums, smart plugs, and more are your Deals of the Day at Amazon today.
- I can’t wait until this debuts on Sunday on ESPN:
There isn't a part of @ChicagoBears history Virginia Halas McCaskey hasn't lived.
“A Lifetime of Sundays” gives an unprecedented look at the history of the NFL through the eyes of four iconic female owners. Watch the debut on @ESPN 8/25 at 1pm ET. #NFL100 #ALifetimeOfSundays pic.twitter.com/OA0pimbu2w
— NFL (@NFL) August 22, 2019
- Another hit:
Considering he revolutionized the modern middle linebacker position, @BUrlacher54 is definitely one of the MOST INFLUENTIAL BEARS!
— Bears Talk (@NBCSBears) August 23, 2019
- OOH, SHADE:
— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 23, 2019
- Mitch Trubisky threw up 355 passing yards, a 148.6 passer rating, and 4 total touchdowns when the Bears and Lions met last season. So if anyone needs any preseason work, it’s *gestures toward the Lions defense*
- This image also applies to how I feel knowing there are Johnny Knox’s number of days until the Bears and Packers open up the 2019 regular season:
- I’ve been reading these since my college years and Drew usually brings the heat in these, but this reads like it was written out of spite by someone resigned to the fact that his favorite team is quarterbacked by Kirk Cousins:
Mitch Trubisky resides in the Bortles Valley, where you can be a top-3 draft pick and have people still be shocked when you do something capable on the field. The Bears suck: https://t.co/Liz7RBQun2 pic.twitter.com/BOZhXBga9R
— Deadspin (@Deadspin) August 22, 2019
- It’s back:
— OBVIOUS SHIRTS® (@obvious_shirts) August 23, 2019