Only the Cubs could turn a 10-1 lead into the most stressful win of the year.
- In the video embedded below, George McCaskey notes that Bill George invented the middle linebacker position. I suppose the rest is Bears history:
- Fans of a certain age are lucky enough to have see Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, and Brian Urlacher dominate the middle. But without George, none of it would have been possible. Or maybe someone else invents the middle linebacker position, calls it something else, and changes the course of football history forever. Aren’t you glad things played out as they did? I know I am.
- In their final preseason home game of the summer, the Bears are paying homage to the 1950s, an era when George roamed free and terrorized opposing offenses. I’m a sucker for grainy, old-time football highlights, so this one really had me going. The Bears are pretty set at inside linebacker now, but part of me wishes I could see George suit up and deliver some punishing blows against some modern players.
- While the past is on our mind, I feel as if this is a good time to share the best thing I read yesterday, which was written by Jack M. Silverstein:
When the Bears wear their 1936 throwbacks, they will inadvertently pay homage to a shameful period of league history: the 12-year ban on black players.
I examined the ban, and the role George Halas played in its creation.
— Jack M Silverstein (@readjack) August 28, 2019
- I did not realize there was a period in NFL history in which black players were banned. Reading about those times as the league gets set to celebrate the start of its 100th season wasn’t easy, but it was necessary. I hope you clear some time in your day to give it a read. It will be worth it.
- There is no smooth transition from the seriousness of a must-read piece to the rest of Bullets, so here is Charles Tillman sharing a bunch of Peanut Punches:
- It’s a good day for Tillman to share some epic punches because the Bears play the Titans tonight. Very fitting! Perhaps some Bears defenders can execute some forced fumbles and turnovers of their own as they make their case for inclusion on the season-opening 53-man roster.
- The Bears cornerback situation behind Kyle Fuller, Prince Amukamara, Buster Skrine, and Duke Shelley still needs to shake out. Second-year players Kevin Toliver II and John Franklin III are joined by undrafted rookie Clifton Duck in trying to make a strong impression on the coaching staff ahead of roster cut-down day on Sunday. And will we finally see seventh-round pick Stephen Denmark? A summertime injury has kept Denmark off the field during the preseason, but Head Coach Matt Nagy has held out the slightest bit of hope that he could maybe get into the action tonight.
- On the other side of the field, I’m curious to see if any of the Bears’ reserve tight ends does something to stand out from the crowd. Bradley Sowell’s conversion from tackle is a work in progress. Undrafted rookies Dax Raymond, Jesper Horsted, and Ian Bunting are still on the periphery trying to make the cut in a crowded position group. The tight end position is a valued one in Nagy’s offense, so getting it right is important.
- Maybe it’s time for a healthy Adam Shaheen to shine? If so, we’re stuck waiting until the regular season opener because Shaheen is among the Bears regulars who isn’t playing in the preseason.
- Can you believe Mitch Trubisky will have gone the entire summer without throwing a preseason pass? What a world!
- “Look good, feel good, play good” is a real thing and I’ll hear no arguments to the contrary:
— Lauren Comitor (@laurencomitor) August 29, 2019
- Computers, accessories, and induction cookware are among the Deals of the Day at Amazon today.
- There’s no way David Montgomery doesn’t go over-drafted in your friends and family league:
Bears RB David Montgomery has boosted his fantasy stock about as much as any player this preseason. pic.twitter.com/P1RX3lqkg6
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) August 28, 2019
- Soooo … how do you feel about Jay Cutler’s return?
Jay told us he'll be at #Bears vs #Packers next Thursday and will be spending more time in Chicago. @KristinCav is opening a store here. Cutler promises to join us in studio soon! https://t.co/Cgcsces1Uw
— Silvy (@WaddleandSilvy) August 28, 2019
- *Nervously raises hand*
Who wants to see a Jay Cutler x Marty buddy comedy film.
— Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) August 28, 2019
- Obvious Shirts‘ new football gear is out, with a big sale, so gear up for the Bears’ centennial season:
BOOM. NEW SHIRTS. BIG SALE. HAPPY PEOPLE.
Football is back, and we're launching a new line of shirts … PLUS 20% OFF EVERYTHING to celebrate. Just use the code DABEARS when you check out!
— OBVIOUS SHIRTS® (@obvious_shirts) August 28, 2019
- Bring back the black uniforms with the red pinstripes, you cowards:
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) August 28, 2019