Pinch Penny Pub has been a Carbondale institution for more than 40 years. But because all good things must come to an end, my favorite college town establishment is closing its doors at the end of 2019. I have so many fond memories of that place. And I would have many more if some of them weren’t so darn fuzzy.
- Allen Robinson is the locker room leader this team needs:
- No turds. No quitters. Good. That’s what I like to hear.
- Ah, yes. THIS is what it is supposed to look like:
- I love the golf analogy here. I’m not a golfer, but I can relate to the concept of struggling to do something, only to get it right at the right time to keep me along for the ride for that much longer. My hope for Mitch Trubisky is that plays like the ones he makes off script and when things don’t go right get engrained in his memory and allow him to have confidence to do it again. Think of it like cooking, Mitchell. Just because you burned the cookies the first time doesn’t mean you’re always going to burn them.
- Even still … it is unnerving that he didn’t get it done against an awful pass defense that was asking to be taken advantage of throughout the game.
- Trubisky’s inconsistencies are one reason we’ll continue to see the Bears linked to any number of possible replacements for their starting quarterback. For example, Maurice Moton (Bleacher Report) offers up some educated guessing on possible landing spots for Cam Newton in 2020. Among them — you guessed it — the Bears. Chicago’s search for a playmaking quarterback could conceivably lead the Bears to Newton, but there’s a long way to go before we get to that point.
- Here’s something Bears fans who miss Jordan Howard probably didn’t want to see this morning:
Jordan Howard already has 17 runs of 10+ yards. Tied for ninth in the NFL. Has at least 30 fewer carries than every other RB in the top 10.
No Eagles RB has had more than 20 runs of 10+ in a season since Doug Pederson became the coach in 2016.
— Sheil Kapadia (@SheilKapadia) November 6, 2019
- What a difference a year makes. Last year, Howard struggled to break through into the second and third level, wasn’t as elusive as he had been in previous years, and failed to produce explosive runs often enough. Now he’s getting those runs, while the team he left behind cannot. To be fair, some of it is scheme, opportunity, and surroundings. For example, I imagine it’s easier to run when Carson Wentz presents a constant threat of competent quarterbacking. But this is still a tough look for the Bears.
- On the bright side, maybe Howard will run his way toward making the Eagles’ sixth-round pick become a fifth-rounder.
- The offensive line is still on that struggle bus:
29th: Adjusted Line Yards
30th: RB Yards
32nd: Second Level yards
18th: Pass Protection
Where specifically are the weak spots?
31st: Adj. Line Yds off Right Tackle
29th: Off Middle/Guard
29th: Off Left End https://t.co/IUIbDubQcv
— Josh Frydman (@Josh_Frydman) November 5, 2019
- And yet, SI.co’s Dr. Roto thinks now is a good time for you to get David Montgomery into your fantasy lineups. The last two weeks have been good on the scorecard, so why not roll the dice for a third consecutive game? The Lions run defense looks more beatable than it projected to be when the season began. Getting Montgomery at least 20 carries would likely come with 100+ rushing yards. Get the ball in the hands of the playmakers is the ultimate goal of Matt Nagy’s offense, right?
- Learning from the best is a good idea, if you ask me:
Learning from the best. pic.twitter.com/KyorUVNGHh
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) November 6, 2019
- This group needs a makeover:
• Last in TDs (0)
• Last in yards per reception (7.6)
• Last in receiving first downs (11)
• 31st in receiving yards (205)
• 24th in receptions (27)
For the fifth-highest payroll per @Jason_OTC.
— dan durkin (@djdurkin) November 6, 2019
- Here is a palate cleanser in the form of an incomplete list of #Bears #Legends: QB Kordell Stewart, QB Mark Sanchez, QB Dave Krieg, RB Edgar Bennett, WR Santonio Holmes, WR Victor Cruz, LT Orlando Pace, DE Jared Allen, MLB Bryan Cox, S Adam Archuleta, PK Chris Boniol. I’m sure there are more, an I would bet on you reminding me in the comments, on Facebook, or via Twitter.
- He’s back, baby:
#Bears roster move:
We have signed LB James Vaughters to the practice squad.
— Chicago Bears (@BearsPR) November 6, 2019
- ‘Good for him:
Former Bears DE Chuck Harris signed with the Jaguars practice squad today, per a source.
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) November 6, 2019
- Modems, tools, books, and a car jumper are among the Deals of the Day at Amazon today. #ad
- It’s never *TOO* early to have your eyes on a quarterback prospect named Manning:
— Dan Pompei (@danpompei) November 6, 2019
- This vibes:
When the Bulls are handed a 4th quarter lead.
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) November 6, 2019
- If the Bears lined up a kicker for a game-winning field goal, the Cubs brought out Craig Kimbrel to secure a ninth-inning lead, and the Bulls had a double-digit fourth-quarter deficit, who would you pick to get the job done? And no, you can’t cop out and choose “none of the above” as your option.
- We did a Talkin’ Toros podcast, which featured a Chris Conte reference and four minutes of pure, unfiltered excellence from Myles at the 29:30 mark:
NEW POD! @TalkinToros Ep. 27: Optimism is dead. @Mphelps11 @lcm1986 and I recorded this before the Lakers game. We talked about the blitzing defense being a failure in progress, Markkanen sucking out loud but gave credit where it’s due to Wendell Carter. https://t.co/zGXxZdqxpW
— Adam (@SouvenirCity) November 6, 2019