Tweaking my brownie recipe to make them chewier turned out to be a successful experiment. But I have just one brownie left, so I better enjoy it.
• I just want to run through a brick wall for Nick Foles right now:
Couldn’t have said it better.
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) October 20, 2020
• Foles is exactly who the Bears need running their offense right now. Beyond having a real understanding of the offense, Foles has life and game experience that allows him to have the kind of perspective needed to overcome slow starts and sloppy play. Could the production be better? Absolutely! But the intangibles Foles brings to the huddle are allowing the Bears’ offense to score just enough to win right now. This version of Foles might not be what Bears fans want, but it is what the team needs.
• The early line is out for the Bears’ MNF game against the Rams, and the Bears are underdog again.
• Keep doubting ’em:
"The #Bears are the worst 3-0 team I've ever seen!"
"The Bears are the second-worst 4-1 team in history!"
"The Bears are 5-1 paper tigers!"
Keep talking. They'll keep winning. pic.twitter.com/iB0QhsBMj3
— Robert Schmitz (@robertkschmitz) October 19, 2020
• THAT Bears defense you expected to show up from the first snap of the year arrived in a big way on Sunday:
.@bears played smothering defense from the first play to the final play. Starting to look a little like 2018 all over again! And having a Bear Party doing it. Defense Travels! #bears #monsters #BaldysBreakdowns pic.twitter.com/TPvYSUZouI
— Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) October 19, 2020
• Adam Jahns (The Athletic) writes the Bears’ defense is the best in the NFL through six weeks. No argument here.
• Ryan Pace has his share of misses, and it feels like we’ve talked about them ad nauseam. But I’ll credit him for snagging some awesome safeties over the years:
— The Checkdown (@thecheckdown) October 18, 2020
• Is it too much to ask for the Bears to draw up some more Cole Kmet red zone plays?
• I want to laugh at this …
Bears WRs vote Anthony Miller as 'most likely to be late to practice' https://t.co/SbPF3f6xyv
— BearsWire (@TheBearsWire) October 20, 2020
• … but as Brendan Sugrue points out, there’s always a hint of truth in a “ha ha” moment. And because Anthony Miller continues to struggle with inconsistency in Year 3 as a pro, this award given in jest isn’t going to sit well with some. Here’s to Miller laughing it off, then putting together one of those hot streaks he has been known to produce.
• Da Bears are popular:
— John Ourand (@Ourand_SBJ) October 20, 2020
• Football is better when the Bears are competitive. That’s not just me saying it because I’m a Bears fan. Chicago football is one of those rising tides that lifts all boats. An ultra-competitive NFC North with the Bears and (sigh) Packers at the top is ratings gold and good for the game.
• Batman, clothes, toothbrushes, and a Dutch oven are among the Deals of the Day at Amazon. #ad
• Nick Foles taking down Carson Wentz in a playoff game would tear the city of Philadelphia apart, and I’m very much here for it if that’s how it happens:
NFC Wild Card Round
Sat, Jan 9
5 seed Chi (11-5) at
4 seed Phil (5-10-1)
— Peter King (@peter_king) October 20, 2020
• Some strong Marc Trestman energy from Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy:
Mike McCarthy said this was the Cowboys' best preparation coming into a game all season.
— Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) October 20, 2020
• More like NFC Least, amiright?
NFC East 5-18-1
— Will Brinson (@WillBrinson) October 20, 2020
• If you’re wondering where the flag is on this play, it turns out the league threw them all on Sunday when the Bears were playing:
“clean play” pic.twitter.com/c1NND2B34i
— Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) October 20, 2020
• Hours after the Panthers sent everyone home to work remotely Monday and Tuesday because of a positive COVID-19 list, the team placed offensive lineman Michael Schofield on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Schofield played five special teams snaps against the Bears on Sunday.
• And you thought the Bears offense was problematic:
Every team in the NFL has run at least 10 plays at the goal line. Except the Jets. They've run 2.
— JJ Zachariason (@LateRoundQB) October 20, 2020
• Basketball is better when the Bulls are players in free agency:
REPORT: Bulls Expected to Be in on Free Agent Forward Derrick Jones Jr.https://t.co/7RWkA9ZtLC
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) October 19, 2020