If you’re wondering how I’m spending my Bears-less Sunday, I’ll be listening to Kanye West’s “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” album. It’s my favorite artist’s best work. And I’ll be playing in loop until further notice.
• Your obligatory Sunday morning Zach Wilson highlight clip:
Zach Wilson threw a pass 58 yards in the air yesterdaypic.twitter.com/4rmrftaW7S
— PFF College (@PFF_College) November 22, 2020
• I don’t care if this throw came against a team that’s only a few years away from playing in what was once called Division I-AA. Just look at the throw, placement, and accuracy. Obviously, it will look more impressive against better competition. But that Wilson can uncork that throw is impressive. So even though not everyone is on the Zach Wilson Hype Train, consider me on board. Who knew watching quarterback play could be fun and not totally exhausting!?
• Is this good? Because this seems good:
Zach Wilson's current individual top 10 FBS rankings:
2nd pass efficiency
3rd yards per attempt
4th completion percentage
7th points responsible for per game
8th yards per completion
— Greg Wrubell (@gregwrubell) November 22, 2020
• Alright, so you want a shot at drafting Wilson in the first round? Cool. Here’s what you need to root for: The Cowboys, Chargers, Texans, or Bengals finishing with the third overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. The Jets (Trevor Lawrence) and Jaguards (Justin Fields) are virtual locks for the top two picks. So to land that much-desired quarterback, the Bears must be willing to (1) trade up and (2) hope the team with the third pick isn’t a QB-starved franchise. And while I’d rather be rooting for teams to win and help the Bears’ playoff hopes, the reality of the situation is that Chicago needs help at the game’s most important position.
• Chilling at the bye allows me to explore some of these way-too-early mock drafts with a little more intent. For instance, check out the latest from The Draft Network’s Kyle Crabbs. This three-round mock has the Bears crossing three major needs off their to-do list, which I imagine would please everyone. Because drafting an offensive lineman (Virginia Tech tackle Christian Darrisaw), quarterback (Florida’s Kyle Trask), and receiver (Wake Forest’s Sage Surratt) wouldn’t be the worst-case scenario. And that’s even considering how much more I like Alabama’s Mac Jones over Trask.
• I mean, this is a baller throw:
This throw from Mac Jones is stupid good pic.twitter.com/6XR30J2Fyi
— Clint Lamb (@ClintRLamb) November 21, 2020
• Put some respect on his name:
More fuel https://t.co/CYVTALkfdH
— Quan (@RoquanSmith1) November 21, 2020
• You can reward Roquan Smith and your favorite Bears by making them Pro Bowlers:
Send #DaBears to the Pro Bowl!
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) November 22, 2020
• Mmhmm, yes, yes, OK, that’s good, mmhmm, … WAIT WHAT THE F?
In a conversation tonight with Drew Brees, the Saints quarterback said that doctors have been encouraged by his progress — specifically improvement in lung function and the continued dissipation of the pneumothorax suffered last week. They’ve also discovered 6 more rib fractures.
— Ed Werder (@WerderEdESPN) November 22, 2020
• Heads up to the early Black Friday Deals today at Amazon, because it includes 40% of the cold brewer I use. It’s so easy and effective, and today it’s cheap. #ad
• When I’m done listening to Kanye, I’ll give this a read:
Why do NFL teams go for it on fourth downs, and how do they analyze the modern game? It goes back to the research a quarterback named Virgil Carter did 50 years ago.
— WSJ Sports (@WSJSports) November 22, 2020
• This intrigues me:
— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) November 22, 2020
• Choose wisely:
Taking fan temperature. If you *HAD TO CHOOSE* one of these two paths for the Cubs, which would you prefer as a fan:
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) November 22, 2020
• The Bulls’ road to the playoffs will have its share of obstacles, including Michael Jordan’s new-look Hornets:
Gordon Hayward Heads to Charlotte as the Bottom of the Eastern Conference Gets More Competitivehttps://t.co/F4gNNcz61o
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) November 21, 2020
• HEADS UP: We are hiring a staff writer to cover the Chicago Blackhawks at BN. The deadline for application is Tuesday, November 24:
— Hall of Famer Baseball Person™️ Luis (@lcm1986) November 12, 2020