The foot ouchie Patrick Mahomes played with in Super Bowl LV will require surgery. That’ll definitely fix his receivers’ hands.
Onward to rumors featuring QBs on the market.
• Ah, yes. The tug of war in the battle for Carson Wentz continues:
"I don't think that Howie Roseman felt like he would get the two firsts and the third which is what he originally asked for. They are not going to get that. I was told that it would be hard to move him with that film for any sort of significance in return." – @Jeff_McLane
— 975TheFanatic (@975TheFanatic) February 9, 2021
• I’m guessing those sounds you heard were Howie Roseman backpedaling after thinking (wrongly) that he could get a Matthew Stafford type of return in a deal for Carson Wentz. To be honest, Wentz probably nets multiple firsts in a trade at this time last year. But because the 2020 season happened, and the injury history is what it is, that ship has sailed. At least, it has to this point.
• Just when we thought things would slow down, former NFL exec (and current analyst) Scott Pioli weighs in to share that the trade process could gain speed again:
Expect timing for @cj_wentz trade to accelerate significantly. Not much talk about Wentz due $10.0m roster bonus on 3rd-day of the new league year & my guess is @Eagles won't be paying it. Made the same point about Matthew Stafford and his 5th-day bonus & @Lions moved fast! #NFL
— Scott Pioli (@scottpioli51) February 9, 2021
• I’ve long believed that deadlines make for great deal-makers. Whether it’s in an overly competitive fantasy league or in a multi-billion dollar sports entity, putting a deadline in place offers incentive to make something work. So read Pioli’s tweet and know that the third day of the new league year is March 20. In other words, the Eagles have 39 days to work something out with Wentz and whichever team ends up being his next. The clock is ticking, my friends.
• If you’re not following Bill on Twitter or checking out his podcast, you should fix that. In the meantime, informed speculation provides some additional (and much-needed) perspective:
Appears Bears haven't offered a one (yet).
Also speculated #Bears most likely landing spot but stressed Bears still looking at other QBs
— Bill Zimmerman (@ZimmermanSXM) February 9, 2021
• Speaking of Bears looking at other quarterbacks:
Wentz isn't the only QB the Bears have sniffed around with that connection. https://t.co/Ec59TGqZRg
— Benjamin Allbright (@AllbrightNFL) February 9, 2021
• As noted yesterday, Bears QBs Coach/Pass Game Coordinator John DeFilippo has prior experience with Wentz, Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, and Gardner Minshew. Or to put it another way, the coach with a fancy new title has had his hands on several QBs who happen to be on this year’s trade market. So let’s not assume the promotion is some sort of precursor to a move for one specific quarterback.
• But also … take note of this:
Carr starts for Raiders Week 1. https://t.co/9EpkuyQRsm
— Peter King (@peter_king) February 8, 2021
• Meanwhile, I see this as the Colts trying to get the Eagles to pull the trigger on a lesser offer in a Carson Wentz deal:
Starting to hear more and more about Matt Ryan and @colts
— Dan Dakich (@dandakich) February 9, 2021
• After watching Jared Goff and Matthew Stafford swap places, Matt Ryan’s contract has been upgraded from “immovable” to “umm…I guess anything is possible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯” in terms of trade-ability. But there’s been a feeling that Ryan won’t be on the move, with Falcons owner Arthur Blank expressing confidence that Ryan (and Julio Jones) will return in 2021. Nevertheless, I see this clever ploy and tip my cap toward Indy. Well played.
• I really got a kick outta this:
— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) February 9, 2021
• I got a chuckle out of the idea of NFL GM’s throwing up desperation heaves in Seattle’s general direction in an attempt to pry Russell Wilson away from the Seahawks. But maybe I shouldn’t have been laughing:
I’m hearing Russell Wilson’s camp has grown increasingly frustrated by the Seahawks inability to protect the 8 time Pro Bowler. He has been sacked 394 times in 9 seasons. This situation warrants serious monitoring.
— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) February 9, 2021
"I'm not sure if I'm available or not. That's a Seahawks question." – Russell Wilson on @dpshow
— Andrew Perloff (@andrewperloff) February 9, 2021
"I want to be involved. At the end of the day, it's your legacy, your team's legacy…. It helps to be involved more. That dialogue should happen more often." – Russell Wilson says that players should have input because they get a sense of who loves the game and is good (@dpshow)
— Andrew Perloff (@andrewperloff) February 9, 2021
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 9, 2021
• What if all this Wentz talk is a smokescreen for Ryan Pace’s big swing being a deal for Russell Wilson? (Hey! Don’t give me that look. This is why I’ll often remind you, my beloved readers, to dream the biggest dreams. I’ll never tell you not to dream big on a rumor or a player or anything else, if only so I can do so when the time is right.)