Best night of sleep I’ve had in weeks came on an air mattress in Wisconsin. Good luck figuring that out!
• Art is awesome:
— Tom Paints (@tom_paints) May 21, 2021
• Soon enough, we’ll see moving pictures with Justin Fields playing against Kenny Clark and the Packers. In the meantime, we’ll roll with this and appreciate the unique skills of artists who create great content.
• I’m realizing a trend in the Bears’ last two drafts. It’s a small sample, I’ll admit. But Chicago has brought in a whole bunch of motivated cats in its last two classes. For instance, let’s take Jaylon Johnson as an example. Last year, Johnson’s inspiration was every cornerback taken before him in the 2020 NFL Draft. No, seriously. “I didn’t think there were six corners that should’ve been taken ahead of me” is something Johnson said during the Bears’ Meet The Rookies series. So thanks for your help: Jeff Okudah, C.J. Henderson, A.J. Terrell, Damon Arntte, Noah Igbinoghene, and Jeff Gladney. Darnell Mooney found similar inspiration, feeling he should’ve gone off the board earlier than he did in Round 5. Now, we’re ready to add another to the list.
• Going three rounds after fellow UNC receiver Dyami Brown will make for some fun chirping at the Tar Heels’ next reunion event. But being chosen after Florida kicker Evan McPherson seems to stick in Dazz Newsome’s craw:
Bears Dazz Newsome asked if he has a chip on is shoulder for having been drafted in the 6th round "I saw that kicker go before me. After that I was just threw watching the draft. Asked, What are you going to do about it? Newsome responded, "Find out. Tune in." @ParkinsSpiegel
— Mark Grote (@markgrotesports) May 21, 2021
• And to that, I say gooooood. Let the hate flow through you and make you powerful. And if you need any further inspiration, Mooney is in the same room. Go pick his brain. Even find yourself to be adventurous enough to check in on Johnson for additional perspective. Draft weekend snubs are the ultimate motivation for players. But to see a kicker go before you? That’ll get the juices extra flowing.
• I hope these Bears have legitimately large shoulders, because there’s ample room to put chips on them. Justin Fields being QB4 in this class? Chip on the shoulder. Teven Jenkins falling out of the first round? Another one. Newsome going three rounds after his college teammate? Yet another one. Take notes now, prove yourself on the field later.
• More fun conversation from Spiegel and Parkins with Newsome as their guest:
He's here for restaurant recommendations. He's a member of #83Nation. And he's holding a grudge against a kicker.
— 670 The Score (@670TheScore) May 21, 2021
• Speaking of Bears with plenty of motivation, Anthony Miller seems to have *heart-eyes emoji* for his new QB:
• Miller has his own issues entering Year 4 of his pro career. But it is fair to say quarterback inefficiency the last few seasons has hurt him. It’s certainly hurt all of the Bears’ pass-catchers in one way or another. But when Mitchell Trubisky was rolling, Miller looked good. And when Nick Foles was finding Miller, it was fun. However, when Trubisky couldn’t find Miller, it felt like there were missed opportunities. Then, when Foles and Miller couldn’t consistently connect, it wasn’t pretty. Maybe a new QB will unlock Miller’s potential. It would be a great time for it, especially after Miller spent the offseason on the trade block and started this offseason training camp with his coaches sending a clear message.
• A read with a different perspective comes from Phil Harrison of Buckeyes Wire, who sees Justin Fields having the potential to be a “cultural phenomenon” for the Bears. Different angles from new voices are often fun to read.
• Sean Desai is a trailblazer and I can’t wait to get this season started to see where his path takes him next:
— NFL (@NFL) May 22, 2021
• This is a worthwhile share because (1) Patrick Mahomes’ star status draws you to care about his health updates and (2) because the Chiefs play the Packers in Week 9 and I think Bears fans will find themselves rooting for that Sunday as they prepare to watch their favorite team on Monday Night Football:
From @NFLTotalAccess: #Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes will not only take part in OTAs, as @JamesPalmerTV said, but he’s essentially “full go” after some serious surgery on his foot in February. pic.twitter.com/M8GTPdOpeN
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 21, 2021
• From a pure entertainment standpoint, I’d like to see Julio Jones catching passes from Kyler Murray. But from the perspective of someone who sees the Cardinals on the schedule in Week 13, not so much. Nevertheless, we should keep tabs on Julio Jones’ status because it seems up in the air in Atlanta:
Somebody at the gym asked me would I restructure my contract for Julio ? pic.twitter.com/71mpbcoWhE
— Deandre Hopkins (@DeAndreHopkins) May 21, 2021
For several weeks it has been known the Falcons will explore a trade with Julio Jones. It's time to clear up some misconceptions about why this is happening. @TheAthletic.
(New subscribers: get in for $1.)https://t.co/cHVfmPTg6R
— Jeff Schultz (@JeffSchultzATL) May 20, 2021