It sounds like those storms hit hard around Chicagoland. Hope everyone was able to stay safe and is doing well this morning.
• I texted a friend this morning just to check in on how they were doing. And once I was able to confirm they were doing well, I closed our thread with “onward.” To which they responded: “Onward to Arlington Heights!” Proving once again that any conversation at any given time can pivot toward the Bears at a moment’s notice. The Arlington Heights stuff just won’t go away.
• Mark Potash (Sun-Times) writes the Bears need a new stadium (no argument here!) no matter where it goes (I’d quibble with that because of my own preferences). The good news here, as Potash points out, is that the Bears’ bid to purchase the Arlington International Racecourse property is a nod to reality and acknowledgment that Soldier Field — in its current state — simply won’t do as a home. It’s got the smallest capacity in the league, its parking limitations are frustrating, and accessibility via public transportation (while available) isn’t ideal. Even after its renovations in 2002, Soldier Field already feels out-dated. That’s not great. Ideally, the Bears can find space within city limits, build something with a retractable roof, and stay until my time on this planet expires. Just a preference.
• Speaking of preference, I’d like a retractable roof instead of a strict dome because I still want the Bears to be playing outside as much as possible. Is there anything more beautiful than watching football in the snow? Much like baseball was made for summer sunshine, football season is for stiff-arming would-be tacklers while dodging snowflakes. Admittedly, I’m asking for too much. But I have to ask!
• This is an interesting Daniel Burnham quote to use here on the teaser:
It was Daniel Burnham, to whom we owe the beauty of Chicago’s green lakefront, who famously said, “Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men’s blood and probably themselves will not be realized." It is time for the Bears to make big plans. https://t.co/xVx8On2oGu
— Dan Pompei (@danpompei) June 21, 2021
• This quote juxtaposed with the worst-case scenario of this stadium being NFL’s version of Yankee Stadium, something that feels like a cookie-cutter suburban mall that happens to have a football stadium attached. Don’t get me wrong. I want a new stadium and have been craving one for some time. However, the slippery slope to making a mistake away from the lake is gonna keep me up at night.
• On a lighter note:
Best dancer in Chicago?
Justin Fields 🕺pic.twitter.com/ABLDKxg5Fi
— PFF College (@PFF_College) June 20, 2021
— ESPN (@espn) January 12, 2021
I cannot stop watching videos of Justin Fields dancing send helppic.twitter.com/z8PQSaD52o
— Preeti (@prettysing) October 23, 2020
• Next stop: Training camp. We’ve got a month of downtime, so don’t mind me as I re-visit anything and everything related to minicamp:
The Bears wrapped up their full-team minicamp and will have six weeks off before reporting to training camp next month.
— Chicago Tribune (@chicagotribune) June 18, 2021
— Sean Hammond (@sean_hammond) June 21, 2021
• Daniel Jeremiah scouts Chris Olave, the Ohio State receiver who was Justin Fields’ top target last year. Even though he probably would’ve been a Round 2 guy had he gone into the 2021 NFL Draft, another year on campus could elevate his stock into the first round. Comparisons to Will Fuller and Jerry Judy are eye-opening, to be sure. Considering the Bears’ future needs at the receiver spot, we’ll be watching him (and others) with great interest.
• Carve some time out of your day to read this:
New Bears WR Marquise Goodwin opted out of last season amid COVID-19 to be with his wife and daughter. "I had to make a decision that was bigger than just myself." Here's his family's story of finding hope from a Chicago doctor after years of loss: https://t.co/stsNBngFKX
— Colleen Kane (@ChiTribKane) June 21, 2021
• This NCAA situation is worth keeping an eye on:
Justice Kavanaugh sounding ominous tones for future of NCAA's continuing restrictions:
“Under the rule of reason, the NCAA must supply a legally valid procompetitive justification for its remaining compensation rules. As I see it, however, the NCAA may lack such a justification.”
— Andrew Brandt (@AndrewBrandt) June 21, 2021
• It’s Prime Day at Amazon, so if you’ve been thinking about getting anything lately, check there, because it’s probably on sale. Or just go peruse. It’s a ton of stuff – basically their Black Friday in June. #ad
• This feels like it could be one of those offseason where the Blackhawks have “interest” in a bunch of big names as the franchise tries to turn a corner:
The Blackhawks Are Reportedly Interested In Trading For Jack Eichelhttps://t.co/R6Zs8PF0nt
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) June 20, 2021
• Hope springs eternal:
Future so bright it hurts. pic.twitter.com/Fdh7pXa3Gm
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) June 21, 2021
• Oh, my:
76ers’ off-season seems like it could make the Eagles’ look tame…
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) June 21, 2021