Give a friend a compliment today. Say something nice about them. Send them a funny TikTok. Do something nice for yourself, of course. But also, do something cool for someone else.
• If you’re from Chicago, you already know that we don’t say “I love you.” Instead, we say: “Sure, I’ll pick you up from O’Hare.” So … I guess this Ryan Poles stuff is getting serious.:
Couldn’t help but notice Ryan Poles being met at O’Hare baggage claim this evening by his potential future employer. pic.twitter.com/iM30jLLuCO
— Eric Bohn (@BohnHomes) January 25, 2022
We just had a caller on @kapjhood on @espn1000 who is a regular listener to our show. @BohnHomes is the man who shot the video of #Bears chairman George McCaskey picking up GM candidate Ryan Poles at O'Hare Airport. "I even saw George pick up Ryan's bag from baggage claim."
— David Kaplan (@thekapman) January 25, 2022
• Getting a second interview with the Bears in one thing. But getting the owner to pick you up from the airport in a dripped out jacket is another.
• Is it a bit dorky that the team’s chairman is out here picking up GM candidate from the airport? Yeah. Is it weird that he is picking up his baggage. Sure, I guess. But it’s also a little endearing, right? It’s definitely the least bothersome or troubling thing George McCaskey has done this month. And if it helps seal the deal with a preferred candidate, then hey, do what you gotta do.
• When it comes to these searches, I think the general manager hire can be more important than the coach hire because of the over-arching organizational impact. Especially when it is a team like the Bears, whose general manager is the top football decision-maker. Unlike coaches, where we can dissect game tape, evaluate coaching trees, and speculate based on similar candidates and situations elsewhere, it is tougher to nail down these GM candidates.
• With that being said, if the Bears feel strongly enough about a candidate to send The Chairman to pick up a candidate, and said candidate knocks the second interview out of the park, then be aggressive and make the hire. Don’t let him get on a flight to Minnesota where another interview awaits. Show some gumption. Make your interest known. Be aggressive. And if it keeps a preferred candidate from latching onto a division rival, then that’s a nice bonus.
• I think Matt Bowen nails it here when it comes to the coaching search:
Hire the best leader. Have to start there. If the head coach has a defensive background, then put together an offensive staff that can develop Justin Fields — and build a system around his skill set. https://t.co/J5ZfCI6A30
— Matt Bowen (@MattBowen41) January 25, 2022
• There is an obvious desire to go with an offensive-leaning head coach. But the Bears need to build a team. From top to bottom. And the head coach needs a staff of studs up and down the line. An offensive-leaning coach who can get on the same page with the QB is nice. But in the end, bringing in someone who can mold Justin Fields into the best player he can be is *THE* top priority. Above all else, that is a gotta-have-it move. Just get it done.
• Why, yes, the Bears did make enough plays to piece together a top-10 list:
• Very cool: Robert Quinn and Jakeem Grant Sr. made the Pro Football Writers of America’s All-NFC Team. Tack it on to the list of accolades for Quinn and Grant, who both made the Pro Bowl and were given second-team All-Pro recognition.
• Beats headphones, security cameras, lanterns, and more are your Deals of the Day at Amazon. #ad
• In the words of Marshawn Lynch — take care of your chicken, take care of your mentals:
Soon-to-be-best selling author @JayGlazer, whose new book “Unbreakable” is being released today, discusses how social media and mental health can be a toxic combo.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 25, 2022
Aaron Rodgers 2 years ago after the losing to the 49ers in the NFC Championship game… did not age well. pic.twitter.com/VfHzLCWkMc
— Evan Roberts (@EvanRobertsWFAN) January 24, 2022
• The irony isn’t lost on me that Aaron Rodgers didn’t look like himself in the guts of that game despite the weather conditions being in favor of the home team.
• Preach, Mina:
The NFL shouldn’t change the overtime rules because the Bills got screwed (they did not get screwed). They should change them because a system where teams that win the toss go 10-1 stinks! pic.twitter.com/dDs8L1ThNp
— Mina Kimes (@minakimes) January 24, 2022
• Things could be worse, Bears fans:
Longest active playoff droughts
— NFL on CBS 🏈 (@NFLonCBS) January 25, 2022
• He isn’t wrong here:
Aaron Rodgers- if you’re going to be a Diva, you have to win.
— Emmanuel Acho (@EmmanuelAcho) January 25, 2022
• When graphic design is your passion:
Where would you like to see Rodgers? 🤔 pic.twitter.com/WvnO8Yn0jn
— TSN (@TSN_Sports) January 25, 2022
• An old friend finds a new home (which happens to be an old home):
Welcome home, @CoachHiestand!
— Notre Dame Football (@NDFootball) January 24, 2022
• Speaking of old friends:
Steelers officially signed former Bears and Texans wide receiver Anthony Miller to a reserve-future deal
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) January 24, 2022
• Well, this is certainly interesting:
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) January 24, 2022
• I covered a little bit of The Frontier League when I was coming out of college. And if you like baseball, but aren’t close to an MLB market, or you want your hardball while managing a tight budget, then I highly recommend giving it a shot. With that being said, I love this for the league:
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) January 24, 2022
Ayo Dosunmu Scores New Career-High With a Halfcourt Buzzer-Beaterhttps://t.co/LfTqYGc87M
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) January 25, 2022
— OBVIOUS SHIRTS® (@obvious_shirts) January 25, 2022
— OBVIOUS SHIRTS® (@obvious_shirts) January 25, 2022