Today is one of my favorite days of the football calendar year.
- Happy Bears-less Sunday! If you’re looking to watch some football on the tube today that won’t leave you screaming obscenities at your television, then this is what today’s schedule looks like:
- Want to see what you should be rooting for the Bears to become when they’re on the other side of their rebuild? Then today is your kind of day. Want to see how modern offenses operate? Chiefs-Bills is right in your wheelhouse. Keeping tabs on rivals? The Vikings (at Dolphins) and Packers (vs. Jets) have afternoon games. Meanwhile, the Lions are on the bye. So you don’t have to put yourself through watching that group today. Are your eyes on upcoming opponents? The Patriots (Week 7), Cowboys (Week 8), and Eagles (Week 15) play today. Ooh. I guess it’s worth noting that the Dolphins (Week 9) and Jets (Week 12) are upcoming Bears opponents.
- In other words, there’s no Bears today … but plenty of Bears-adjacent happenings.
- Bears Wire ranks the Bears’ 10 best defensive performers, as graded by Pro Football Focus. And if you’re searching for something worth taking away from a loss to the Commanders that still stings today, then look no further than three of the top four highest-graded players were Bears starting defensive backs. The trio of Kindle Vildor, Kyler Gordon, and Jaquan Brisker grading out well in Week 6 is one of the few encouraging things to come from that loss.
- I missed this when it first went viral, but Ryan Fitzpatrick was out of pocket for this:
- That’s a borderline ridiculous take for a player with just 16 starts under his belt.
- Moreover, it is maddening to read that analysis knowing that Fields’ accuracy was a strength of his as a collegiate passer. It’s not as if you forget how to sling it:
- On the other side of the equation, Robert Griffin III takes a more level-headed angle:
- Sad, but true facts:
- If the Panthers go through with a firesale, I can’t see them cutting a deal with the Bears for Christian McCaffrey. But seeing the fit based on run concepts helps drive home that the Bears ground game is doing good stuff:
- Well, this figures to make for awkward conversation in the family group chat:
- Drama fitting of a Hollywood backdrop:
- Don’t forget to set your fantasy lineups:
- I’m very much here for Kyle Long’s football analysis:
- That Alabama-Tennessee game was bananas:
- MLB’s postseason continues to amaze:
- If you thought the Braves and Dodgers losing yesterday was wild, seeing the Blackhawks win is an unexpected twist:
Around the NFL: Bills Statement Win, Antonio Brown in Trouble Again, Ja’Marr Chase Back for AFC Championship Rematch, More