Poles Going Local, Green Bay’s Ghost Problem, Pick Your Fave O-Line Prospect, and Other Bears Bullets
Ooh, this is fun: Our friends at Betsperts are giving away a pair of $100 gift cards to Fanatics and eight free passes to the BN live event.
What are you waiting for? Go, go, go…
- HEADS UP! The 2023 NFL Draft is 29 days away. Who’s your favorite prospect?
- This is the type of description I like to read about an offensive tackle who figures to be on the board when the Chicago Bears go on the clock with the ninth pick in the 2023 NFL Draft:
- Broderick Jones might be my favorite tackle prospect in this draft. His measurements check off all the noteworthy boxes. As do his high-level performances in big games. And while I’m not trying to push Braxton Jones out the door, perhaps Broderick is the type of prospect the Bears would be willing to slide Braxton over to the right side in order to accommodate. I’m catching onto you guys…
- If the Bears pick Northwestern’s Peter Skoronski, I’m going to remember this quote from GM Ryan Poles and see it as prophetic. Via CHGO’s Adam Hoge:
“When you have pride in your local team that you grew up watching, you knew what this club meant to the city, and you saw some good times with some good players, I think you’re a little more motivated to perform at a high level and lead. Because you’ve seen guys do it at a high level before you. … I think it just means a little bit more.”
- OK, so there is no coincidence that the Bears have been targeting area natives to come to play for their hometown team. On the one hand, it’s kinda corny. But on the other hand, it is fun. I tip my cap to Poles for making some dreams come true. After all, not every transaction needs to be made with every analytical consideration to be accounted for in the process. There are times to use the impulse zone to make moves. And frankly, I’m down for it.
- Hey, maybe that’s a sign the Bears might have an interest in bringing back Robbie Gould. Or maybe I’m reaching. Then again, the Chicagoland resident said he’d be open to a reunion with the Bears.
- I appreciate this perspective from Bears Head Coach Matt Eberflus, who sees Justin Fields’ development in the same light as the rest of his team. “He took a step in the right direction,” Eberflus said, via the Sun-Times. “Obviously, he made some dynamic plays that the whole league was talking about. And he did a really good job with that. Just like our whole football team, it’s a young team, and he needs to take that next step — as the rest of us do.”
- It is worth repeating until the cows come home: It’s not just Fields who needs to take another step in their development. Is Fields the most important piece of the puzzle? Certainly. But he isn’t the only one that needs to find their place on the board.
- Things are already awkward just one year into the Allen Robinson-Rams experience:
- In other words, we’re glad to have you if you’re here — but if you’re not then we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. ICYMI: Robinson was granted permission to seek a trade. But as of now, nothing has come to fruition yet. Maybe Ryan Pace was right to not extend Robinson after all.
- If Packers GM Brian Gutekunst wants advice on how to best handle a ghosting situation, I am willing to waive my consultant’s fee in exchange for four (4) Bears-Packers tickets (and parking passes!) for every game these two play at Lambeau Field for the next 25 years. My DMs are open, Brian.
- Forget the Jets. Why haven’t the Packers launched Aaron Rodgers into the sun yet? (BN NFL)
- Not necessarily a football read, but this piece about how “Sports Twitter” sorts through the mess that is the Elon Musk Era of the bird app is fascinating stuff..
- A Blackhawks tank update:
- No one is driving to the bucket better than Bulls star Zach LaVine. (BN Bulls)
- An important message from the Bulls big man that is bigger than basketball:
- Opening Day is TOMORROW. But the build-up for the big day has been a long time coming:
- Paige Spiranac Fantasy Golf Pool
Sign-Up to Paige's Free Augusta Golf Pool and Get a chance to Win a Round of Golf with Paige!