While the Montreal Canadiens prepare for the Stanley Cup Final, their first appearance since 1993, there have been more developments surrounding the Chicago Blackhawks and the incidents in 2010 between former video coach Brad Aldrich and two former players. This all ties back to the Canadiens because of their current General Manager Marc Bergevin.
Bergevin, a 1983 Draft Pick of the Blackhawks and veteran of 1,191 NHL games, has held roles in multiple NHL front offices since his retirement from a playing career. He was a scout and an assistant coach with the Blackhawks until 2009, when he was promoted to Chicago’s Director of Player Personnel. The Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 2010 while Bergevin was Director of Player Personnel, and the same time when these incidents involving the former players and Aldrich allegedly occurred. He also served as the Blackhawks’ assistant General Manager under Stan Bowman for the 2011-12 season before being hired by the Montreal Canadiens as their General Manager, a position he currently holds.
As part of the preparations for the Cup Final, which begins tomorrow night, Bergevin spoke to the media in the customary pre-Final availability. There, he was asked by The Athletic’s Katie Strang, who has been reporting on the allegations surrounding the Blackhawks along with Mark Lazerus and Scott Powers, about his knowledge of the incidents and allegations…
Asked MTL GM Marc Bergevin, who was w/ Chicago as Director of Pro Personnel in 2010, what he knew about sexual assault allegations against Brad Aldrich. He said he was not aware of those allegations at the time.
— Katie Strang (@KatieJStrang) June 27, 2021
Bergevin was previously mentioned in TSN’s reporting on the Blackhawks allegations as having no knowledge of the incidents in question in 2010 while he was the Blackhawks’ Director of Player Personnel, according to a statement on the matter from the Canadiens. This is the first time that he has been publicly asked about the incidents and his knowledge, and he stands by what was said in the Canadiens’ statement.
At this time, there is no other evidence to show that what Bergevin is saying isn’t true. But with the multiple allegations and stories involving Blackhawks management, coaches, players, and even the marketing staff, being corroborated by multiple witnesses, including former 2010 Cup winners Nick Boynton and Brent Sopel in interviews and on social media, I find it hard to believe Bergevin knew nothing.
These stories and allegations against the Blackhawks are surprisingly not getting the reporting and coverage you would expect. This should be not only the top story in the hockey world, but this should be being discussed as real news. It’s beginning to gain traction as more people pick up the investigations done by outlets like The Athletic, TSN, and WBEZ in Chicago, and the reports should not go away quietly. Even if the NHL and Blackhawks want them to go away quietly and be swept under the rug, they can’t. Not anymore.
With the Stanley Cup Final starting tomorrow night, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman is scheduled to address the media ahead of Game One. He does this every year at the Cup Final. I have a feeling this year’s press conference will be much different than in the past.