Counting down the days until the NHL regular season begins…
49 until the season starts.
50 until the Blackhawks play their first regular season game of the 2021-22 year.
Until then we are still just passing through the days of tumbleweed season.
• With the passing of Jimmy Hayes, the outpouring of love for him and his family around the hockey world has been incredible to see. Yesterday evening, Flyers forward Kevin Hayes posted about the passing of his older brother…
Kevin Hayes shares a message on Instagram regarding the passing of his brother, Jimmy. ❤️❤️ pic.twitter.com/0BZDD5wTqM
— TSN (@TSN_Sports) August 25, 2021
• It is always hard to lose a loved one, especially when they are as young as Hayes was at 31-years-old. But there is never really a right time, right? Never feels that way anyway.
• Be good to one another and let those around you know you love and appreciate them. Feels like a broken record from me this week, but it’s a good message. At least I think so.
• On the international hockey stage, the U.S. Women continue their dominance at the IIHF World Championships with a 6-0 win yesterday over R.O.C. (Russia) In the process, Hilary Knight set the U.S. Women’s record for career goals scored at the tournament, passing Cammi Granato.
• Along with Knight’s goal in the game, Team USA saw a number of milestones in the dominant win…
• Along with passing Granato for the most goals scored for Team USA at the Women’s World Championships, Knight also tied Granato again for the most career points scored for Team USA. But as Hailey Salvian points out, this was not an overnight record to break and tie for Knight…
Hilary Knight's IIHF record is great, she's an incredible player. But, holy, can we admire Cammi Granato for a moment?
She last played in a world championship in 2005….So it took 16 years for someone to catch her record. Such a dominant player, who inspired the next gen.
— Hailey Salvian (@hailey_salvian) August 24, 2021
• While Knight grabbed the headlines, there were two other Illinois-natives that got onto the scoresheet for the U.S. last night and added to the historic win…
• With the 6-0 win, the U.S. remain as the last team yet to allow a goal at the IIHF Women’s World Championships through three games in the preliminary round. They finish their group stage of games tomorrow as they take on Canada at 5:00 p.m. CT. The winner of that U.S.-Canada game will be the Group A winner
• Keeping in the Women’s hockey world, as a big Badger-backer, this pads/helmet combo from Wisconsin net-minder Kennedy Blair is awesome!
— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) August 25, 2021
• That winter hat pattern on the helmet is sick. I love it.
• A few days ago, Elvis Merzlikins and his wife Aleksandra welcomed their son, with a middle name to honor former Blue Jackets teammate Matiss Kivlenieks.
Knox Matiss Merzlikins.
— NHLPA (@NHLPA) August 25, 2021
• Those baby pads…I can’t get enough of them!
• Remember that Patrick Kane hand-drawn picture from a few weeks ago? Well, Pietens Art is at it again…
• The details are incredible. I can’t imagine having this kind of skill.
• Speaking of being jealous of skills, these kids these days are SICK…
Michkov—like Canada’s Connor Bedard—is eligible for the 2023 NHL draft, but he has signed a 5 year contract with SKA St Petersburg that will keep him in the KHL through the 2025/26 season. https://t.co/U2J2WlWgJj
— Gord Miller (@GMillerTSN) August 24, 2021
• Matvei Michkov is going to be an absolute PROBLEM in the KHL as he grows up and will likely be one of the top draft picks in two years alongside Connor Bedard.
• EA Sports announced that we will get the first look at the new NHL22 Gameplay trailer tomorrow. After the release of the official first trailer of the game, there is a lot of optimism around the graphics improvements and what the new physics engine from Frostbite will do for the game. So far…well…
• While tomorrow will be the first look at the gameplay trailer for NHL22, it will also be the first look at another project coming out from us at Bleacher Nation…
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) August 25, 2021
• All I can say for the Blackhawks side of things is, stay tuned.
• Ok, one hint: this project will be similar to this post from our Cubs friends…
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) August 25, 2021
• Stay tuned.
• That will do it for today. Hope you all enjoy your Wednesday!