We’re now entering what will likely be a few quiet weeks for the Chicago Blackhawks. The new front office is in place, they aren’t in a hurry to hire a head coach, and trades won’t happen until after the Stanley Cup Final. Well, significant trades won’t happen … yet. So we can sit back, relax and watch the playoffs.
And those playoffs were good on Tuesday night as the second round began with a bang.
Here’s tonight’s schedule:
Rangers @ Hurricanes — 6 PM CT — ESPN
Oilers @ Flames — 8:30 PM CT — ESPN
• In the 32 Thoughts Podcast earlier this week, Jeff Marek shared that the Boston Bruins might be looking to replace Patrice Bergeron if he decides to retire. Bergeron has said he doesn’t want to play anywhere else, but he’s a UFA this summer. Marek tossed a grenade into the offseason trade chatter when he said Boston might look at Jonathan Toews as a potential replacement for Bergeron if he retires. My question: with what cap space? The rumor jumped to the top of the Boston chatter, but with some skepticism.
In the latest @BOSHockeyNow Bruins Daily:
— MurphysLaw74 (@MurphysLaw74) May 18, 2022
• The Bruins have roughly $2 million in cap space heading into the summer without re-signing Bergeron. And now they’re talking about wanting to keep Jake DeBrusk, who asked out earlier this year. Even if the Hawks retained half of Toews’ $10.5 million cap hit, the Bruins would need to do some serious financial gymnastics to make a deal work or even happen.
• With Elliotte Friedman tweeting on Tuesday that Barry Trotz was in Winnipeg to interview for their head coaching vacancy, Friedman and others have also noted that Trotz is the top choice for the Flyers as well.
• The Blackhawks Talk Podcast discussed whether or not the Blackhawks’ next coach should be a young gun or an experienced leader. We asked if Hawks fans would be in favor of Pete DeBoer being in the mix for the job in Chicago on Twitter earlier this week. Here’s how you voted:
Easy Monday poll question:
Would you be in favor of the #Blackhawks hiring Pete DeBoer as the next head coach?
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) May 16, 2022
• The Avalanche needed overtime to win Game One against the Blues but did escape with the 3-2 victory. Denver’s new favorite son, Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson (still sounds weird saying that), was in the stands for the game and loved the OT GWG.
— Russell Wilson (@DangeRussWilson) May 18, 2022
• The early game last night was the battle for Florida. And the two-time defending champs from Tampa reminded the hockey world that they wear the crown until someone takes it off their heads. Even without Brayden Point and skating five defensemen for a big part of the game, the Lightning dominated the Panthers on Florida’s home ice. This looks like it could be a great series, and Game One went the way of the experienced Bolts.
All in a day's work for the Boss. pic.twitter.com/wCko3EqYUK
— Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) May 18, 2022
• Has Christopher Morel’s home run landed yet? If you didn’t get goosebumps watching his pure joy rounding the bases last night, you might need to check your pulse.
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) May 18, 2022