Last night the sports world was focused on the NBA Draft (while Stephen A Smith whined about the Knicks), but tonight our eyes will be on Denver, where the Avalanche will look to seal the deal in Game Five and vanquish the two-time defending champion Lightning.
On Twitter, we asked you who ya got tonight. Make sure you vote!
- Big Blackhawks news to start your Friday. According to reports, the Blackhawks are hiring long-time NHL player and assistant coach Luke Richardson as the next permanent head coach. Richardson appeared in more than 1,400 games as a player and has been an assistant in Montreal for the past four seasons.
- Today we’re celebrating the draft anniversary of Jonathan Toews, who the Blackhawks selected third overall on this date in 2006. But another Canadian athlete by the same name confused us on Twitter yesterday. There’s another Jonathan Toews? Are you… serious?
- Friday morning, Scott Powers at The Athletic reported that veteran defenseman Caleb Jones is expected to re-sign with the Hawks. Seth’s brother suffered an injury that led to an early exit from the World Championship tournament, but is not serious enough to impact his 2022-23 season.
- The word out of Boston is that Patrice Bergeron is coming back for one more year. Bergeron, who won another Selke Trophy this year, was headed to free agency and there was some thought he could retire. But it appears he’s going to give it another run with the Bruins.
- The sexual assault case with Hockey Canada is going to continue being an important story to follow. And now the players who were allegedly involved may be compelled to answer questions. This is quickly becoming an issue that the NHL and NHLPA are going to need address.
- We’ve talked a lot about the draft for the Blackhawks this week with the anniversaries of the Hawks selecting Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews and the importance of this year’s draft (and next) on the future of the franchise. We love seeing a young players’ dreams come true, and that happened for the newest member of the Chicago Bulls last night.