The Blackhawks’ first trade on Thursday was a blockbuster that stunned the hockey world. Chicago sent Alex DeBrincat to Ottawa for only three draft picks, including the No. 7 overall selection in this year’s draft.
With the seventh overall pick, the Blackhawks went with a defenseman who has received some incredibly positive reviews from scouts and analysts. Many feel he might be a game-changer with the highest potential ceiling in the draft class on the blue line. But he will be a year or two away from the NHL.
What were people saying about the Blackhawks’ selection of Kevin Korchinski?
The first big mover on the draft board. Many felt that Korchinski would fall just outside the top 10, but his name was getting mentioned with frequency by draft insiders as someone who could rocket up the board. The Blackhawks acquired this pick from the Senators in the Alex DeBrincat trade, and used it on Korchinski, a 6-2 left-handed defenseman. He’s got a ton of offensive upside, as shown in his 65-point season in 67 games. The Blackhawks are in a teardown. Korchinski can be an important piece in building back up.
- Byron Bader of Hockey Prospecting tweeted some date on Kevin Korchinski with a comparison to Bruins defenseman Dougie Hamilton last night. Bader said that Korchinski has “good size, [and] skates like a gazelle.” Speed is something Kyle Davidson has made it clear he desires in his vision for the Blackhawks, and Korchinski checks that box.
- Patrick Bacon from Top Down Hockey called Korchinski a defenseman who scored at a very strong rate in the WHL last season and called his profile impressive. Korchinski scored 65 points (4 G, 61 A) in 67 games for the Seattle Thunderbirds last season.
- Chris Peters of FloHockey ranked Korchinski his No. 4 ranked defenseman and No. 14 overall player in the draft but noted that he does consider the left-handed blue liner the defenseman with the most upside in this draft, a sentiment we’ve seen echoed by many.
- Scott Wheeler of The Athletic wrote a lengthy profile on Korchinski packed with quotes, insight, and video analysis. Wheeler called him “one of the draft’s top defenseman – and one of the most exciting prospects, period.”
- Some video highlights of Korchinski courtesy of Austin Perdue on Twitter:
- The WHL put together a video on Korchinski, who followed his father’s footsteps into the WHL, packed with highlights and quotes from Korchinski himself:
- Here’s a highlight package of Korchinski from the WHL’s Twitter account:
- The WHL featured Korchinski in their ‘Road to the Draft Player Profile’ series: