Remember when we said Monday was going to be a quiet day as the Blackhawks move into their summer? Yeah… about that…
- We were all blindsided by the news that Eddie Olczyk is not coming back to the Blackhawks’ broadcast booth this season. And by “we,” we’re talking about the fans and the organization. Publicly, the story from both Edzo and the organization is that the Blackhawks made him an offer, and he was interested in being here, but at the end of the day it was time for a break. Edzo is taking his talents to Seattle, who reportedly offered a longer term on his new deal.
- Edzo made a few media appearances on Monday evening to share his side of the story. Always a class act, he opted to leave the details of the negotiations and conversations behind closed doors, but owned the decision to move on. But he was emotional — as many of his fans have been since learning about his departure from the job he’s done better than anyone for the past 16 years.
- We want to know who you want to replace Edzo in the booth. With news that his son, Nick, is also departing, we need options. Vote in our Twitter poll!
- Max Domi had some travel issues, so his media availability on Monday was postponed. So we’ll have to wait to meet one of the new members of the NHL-level Blackhawks.
- Dylan Strome met with the media in Washington on Tuesday morning. It sounds like he already feels fairly comfortable with a handful of his new teammates with the Capitals. We wish him luck.
- The Flames filed for arbitration with RFA Matthew Tkachuk on Monday. Why? So their other star forward can’t sign an offer sheet with another club after they already lost Johnny Gaudreau to free agency.
- The Devils announced the addition of a goaltender to their roster on Tuesday morning. They’re an intriguing, young team that’s building for a run starting soon.
- Finally, while Blackhawks fans are hoping Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews can end the Chicago parts of their careers in a meaningful way, Cubs fans are on trade watch with their all-star catcher. And Willson Contreras thinks he might be in Chicago longer than the rumors might indicate.
USA Sent Packing, Awful Goaltending Projection, Seattle Lands a Second Olczyk, and Other Blackhawks Bullets
Around the NFL: Watson Discipline Fiasco Another Failure by All Involved, Joint Practices Are Dumb, Happy Madden Day, More
MLBits: Astros Clobber White Sox, Pujols Pursuit of 700, Fried Bests deGrom, Blue Jays Crush the Yankees, More
Clean Football Under the New Guy, I Miss Buck and Aikman, How to Lose a Roster Battle, and Other Bears Bullets