Toews Returns, But Not Ready to Retire (Yet), He Loves Puppies, and Other Blackhawks Bullets
Cancel your plans, Blackhawks fans. We’ve been hoping — even as some outlets have reported to the contrary — that Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews would feel good enough to skate in a few games before the end of the regular season — and his contract. Well, that time has arrived! Toews will draw back into the lineup tonight when the New Jersey Devils visit the United Center. I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again: pack the barn, folks. Let him know what he means to the fans, and let the organization know how much respect the captain still carries in this city.
- And remember the speculation that Toews was going to hang up his skates for good after a couple games? He was asked about that yesterday, and said he isn’t in a place where he’s thought about that decision. Not yet.
“To be fully honest, I’m not near making that decision yet,” Toews said Friday. “And I don’t feel like with what I’ve been through this year and this past season that I have enough clarity on what that decision will be. I’m just kind of doing my best every day to get healthy and get back into a good place mentally and physically.
“I think either that decision will be clear for me this summer or it’ll be a situation where I’m really feeling good and really excited and just really ready to train and prepare to get myself to a place where I can play high-level hockey again and just enjoy the game. I want to be able to be in that place where I’m really having fun and playing at a high level and contributing to my team the way I know I can. All those things are part of what makes the game really enjoyable for me.”
- Before he was announced as returning to the lineup, Toews melted hearts through social media as he took some time with his teammates to greet some puppies on the ice.
- I’d say the Sun-Times nailed it with their back cover this morning.
- So what’s cookin’ in the Bad for Bedard Sweepstakes tonight? All four teams at the bottom have games tonight.
- And here’s a reminder of why we’ve spent the entire season crossing our fingers for the best chances possible to win the draft lottery. Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.
- The weather all over Illinois was awful last night. In Rockford, a tornado warning forced the IceHogs to clear the ice for a time during the first period. Thankfully everyone was safe and the game resumed (unfortunately, the IceHogs lost).
- Yes, I’m doubling back to 19 with puppies because after a long year I needed this image. I think a lot of us did.
- Finally, Lu got a chance to chop it up with NFL analyst Field Yates — and the conversation was great! Give it a read.
- Paige Spiranac Fantasy Golf Pool
Sign-Up to Paige's Free Augusta Golf Pool and Get a chance to Win a Round of Golf with Paige!