Beating the Lakers should count for an additional three wins, IMO.
Chicago Bulls at Los Angeles Lakers (9:00 CT) on NBC Sports Chicago, 670 The Score (Audio)
1. Coby White
2. Zach LaVine
3. Patrick Williams
4. Otto Porter
5. Wendell Carter Jr.
Injury Report: Lauri Markkanen OUT (NBA Protocol), Tomas Satoransky OUT (NBA Protocol), Chandler Hutchison OUT (NBA Protocol), Ryan Arcidiacono OUT (NBA Protocol)
Los Angeles Lakers
1. Dennis Schroder
2. Kyle Kuzma
3. LeBron James
4. Markieff Morris
5. Marc Gasol
Injury report: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope OUT (ankle), Anthony Davis OUT (adductor strain)
What to Watch For
• I know it sounds kind of crazy to bring up, but the Los Angeles Lakers are on the backend of a back-to-back. They played a not-so-great game against the San Antonio Spurs last night, where they ended up losing 118-109. Now, this could either motivate the hell out of them to come out and decimate the Bulls (likely) or it has gotten them tired and in a bit of a funk (not likely). Either way, the Bulls are more rested, so we’ll have to see if they’re able to take advantage of that extra pep in their step tonight.
• How does Wendell Carter Jr. handle this matchup? The third-year big man is coming off a career-high rebounding performance, and the Bulls will need a similarly aggressive performance against this stacked Lakers frontcourt to stay within any kind of striking distance. Good news: He will no have to worry about Anthony Davis, who was scratched just a couple of hours before tip.
• Can Coby White make it 20+ points in four-straight games tonight? The Bulls better hope so.
• How much does Billy Donovan ask Patrick Williams to do? The Bulls head coach was not scared of putting him on Giannis Antetokounmpo a couple of games back, so will we see him as the main defensive matchup for LeBron James? Man, what a start to this 19-year-old NBA career.
Get Caught Up …
• Bulls could be on the verge of getting back two of their four missing players.
Lauri Markkanen and Ryan Arcidiacono continue to test negative for COVID-19 and have gotten some work in now, Billy Donovan says. They're still in the protocols.
Donovan is hopeful they can rejoin team when it's back from West Coast trip. Bulls host Celtics on Tuesday.
— Cody Westerlund (@CodyWesterlund) January 9, 2021
Lakers say Anthony Davis is out tonight against the Chicago Bulls with a left adductor strain while Kentavious Caldwell-Pope will miss his fourth straight game with a left ankle sprain.
— Bill Oram (@billoram) January 9, 2021
LIVE: Head Coach Billy Donovan media availability prior to tonight’s game in Los Angeles https://t.co/B6tnBqWkXT
— Chicago Bulls (@chicagobulls) January 9, 2021
The Love for Patrick Williams Is Real and It Is Tantalizinghttps://t.co/Az82YzoxpC
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) January 8, 2021