Tell me you’re desperate for NBA offseason content without telling me you’re desperate for NBA offseason content.
Who’s the most dangerous player here? pic.twitter.com/akzhG7eJP5
— Alex (SemiSZN) ➐ (@GiannisLamar_) August 25, 2021
• I probably shouldn’t waste much time debating this absurd hypothetical … but we all know it’s Vucevic with Anthony Davis’ defense, right? I mean, Draymond Green with Devin Booker’s shooting might be knocking on the door, but Vucevic with AD’s defensive capabilities might make him the best two-way center in the league.
• Think about it: Vucevic is a two-time All-Star who is one of the savviest offensive bigs out there. He averaged 23.4 points and 3.8 assists on 47.7 percent shooting from the field and 40.0 percent from downtown last season. Add in a DPOY-worthy performance on the other end and … holy crap. The guy would arguably be better than AD himself when we factor in the efficient outside jumper. Sure, Davis is the better interior scorer with a more imposing frame, but Vucevic is one of the best three-level scoring bigs who doubles as an underrated passer/playmaker. Not to mention, Vucevic has been one of the best rebounders in the league in recent years, finishing top-10 in rebounds per game the past three seasons and sixth this past season!
• The mere inclusion of Vucevic in this exercise feels like another reminder of how underappreciated he is among fans. I get it, much like LaVine, he has been stuck on a mediocre team and has proven very little when it comes to playoff basketball. At the same time, the numbers don’t lie. Vucevic is one of the best offensive big men in the game, and I think all we need to do to see that is rank the top centers in the Eastern Conference. Who is ahead of Vucevic? Joel Embiid for sure. Bam Adebayo might be second when we factor in his defensive capabilities. Then, if we don’t consider someone like Giannis Antetokounmpo a center, it’s probably Vucevic. Who else is dropping 32 points and 16 rebounds against Myles Turner or 34 points and 8 rebounds on Rudy Gobert?
• According to HoopsHype, the Chicago Bulls have the 15th-best point guard in Lonzo Ball. He ranks just ahead of Kyle Lowry (take that, Miami!) and just below Malcolm Brogdon (whom I could see him passing as this season goes on).
— HoopsHype (@hoopshype) August 25, 2021
• We got ESPN drama. News broke yesterday that the network plans to cancel The Jump and remove Rachel Nichols from NBA broadcasting altogether.
ESPN has taken Rachel Nichols off its NBA programming and canceled “The Jump,” the daily basketball show she hosted, the network said. The news comes one month after The New York Times reported on disparaging comments made by Nichols about Maria Taylor. https://t.co/vOPSUKT9DJ
— The New York Times (@nytimes) August 25, 2021
• After audio leaked of Rachel Nichols’ private conversation about Maria Taylor, who Nichols suggested received more opportunities because of her race, we all knew something was going to happen. With that said, we did not know that this something would result in both likely leaving the network (Taylor inked a new deal with NBC). ESPN really feels like they have botched this whole thing from the start. Not only did they appear to wait too long to act, but they have now gotten rid of a successful NBA program format. Why not just replace Nichols?
• We care, Alex.
• They grow up so fast … (*sniffles and wipes away tear*)
— NBA (@NBA) August 26, 2021
• The fact these two already look to be putting in the offseason work together has got me all kinds of excited. I’ve written before that I’m not as worried about the fit as some others have expressed, but there is no question it will take some time for these two ball-dominant players to get a feel for each other’s game. The sooner they can start to work things out, the easier the transition should be when October 20th comes around. Also, maybe LaVine can give DeRozan a couple of defensive pointers he learned at Team USA camp!
• Bears make some roster moves.
Bears Cut Javon Wims to Bring Back Cornerback Dionte Ruffinhttps://t.co/uLKwvgyZ6t
— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) August 26, 2021
• Good question.
What is this? https://t.co/hwg2ropclb
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) August 26, 2021
• Is he a STEELE!? lolololololol
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) August 26, 2021