ICYMI: The Bulls will have “initial discussions” with Nikola Vucevic about a contract extension when training camp opens up.
- DeMar DeRozan has refused to let Patrick Williams out from underneath his wing. After the Chicago Bulls youngster spent time this offseason experiencing DeRozan’s grueling summertime workout regimen, he most recently found himself participating in another DeRozan staple on Saturday evening. Williams took the court in California to play alongside his Bulls teammate in the Drew League. While the high-upside talent may not have matched DeRozan bucket-for-bucket, he did finish the night with a well-rounded 14 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 steals.
- The most noticeable on-court difference for Williams was his ball-handling. Not somebody whose had the opportunity to initiate much offense at the NBA level, he looked impressive with the rock in his hands. Whether it be taking a player off the dribble or pushing the ball up the floor in transition, he looked like a smart and decisive player. Let’s hope this is something that shows itself again when the season tips off in October.
- Yes, I know 14 points in a Pro-Am game isn’t anything to drool over. I’m sure Bulls fans would have preferred to see him go for 50 and put every single person in the gym on a poster. But the fact he didn’t isn’t a reason to panic. Williams was on the court to have fun. Simple as that. We’ve seen him drop 35 points in an NBA game, so I think it’s safe to say he could have easily done the same yesterday if he wanted to.
- In general, it’s completely and utterly silly to read too much into any of these exhibition games. Let’s remember that DeMar DeRozan and freakin’ LeBron James almost lost their Drew League game a couple of weeks back. Let’s also remember that players like LiAngelo Ball and Malachi Flynn are dropping 50+ points with ease (Flynn dropped 73 earlier this year in another Pro-Am league). None of these box scores or results matter. All that matters is these NBA players are taking time out of their day to put on a fun show for the surrounding community. So shoutout to Williams for doing just that.
- Will shared some fun clips of the game below, so give it a watch! Also, if you need an example of how non-serious these games can be, just watch the end where literally nobody is even trying to play defense.
- I’ll never get sick of watching this man go to work.
- In California participating in workouts with his teammates for the first time, Dalen Terry has decided to get in on the Drew League fun. The No. 18 pick announced that he will participate alongside the Hawks’ Onyeka Okongwu later this afternoon. As far as we know, this will be Terry’s second time competing in a Pro-Am run this summer, as he also suited up in Chicago a couple of weeks back.
- For all those NBA2K players out there, here’s a new feature that should help make the game even more realistic.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DEMAR DECLOSIN’!
- I’m convinced 33 might be the new 23 for DeRozan. I keep harping on this message, but the guy only seems to be getting better with age. While I may not expect another borderline MVP campaign this season, I do have complete faith that he can continue to be one of the best scorers in the game. Based on how he plays, I just have a hard time seeing a world where his production falls off a cliff. He’s one of the few players in the league you simply can’t speed up or slow down. Not to mention, his footwork is elite and nobody drains contested shots better. His sheer athleticism might to diminish with time, but the player he is today relies less and less on that.
- Also, he’s got a playmaking and facilitating side to him that Billy Donovan has yet to fully unleash. And I think we’ll see a lot more of it this year as the Bulls pivot back to a more uptempo offense that emphasizes ball movement.
- So we all good?
- HERE FOR IT!
Do You See the Bulls Finishing as One of the Four *WORST* Teams in the East? Because One Projection Does!
Billy Talks Lonzo, DeMar Addresses the Lakers Stuff (Again), Dennis Rodman Movie, and Other Bulls Bullets
Positive Lonzo News? Ayo Dosunmu’s New Tattoo, Billy Goes the Extra Mile (Literally), and Other Bulls Bullets
First Wave of Roster Cuts, Murphy’s Back Hurts, Stalock’s Scary Mask Art, and Other Blackhawks Bullets
Could the Blackhawks Leverage Their Roster and Cap Space Flexibility to Get a Flippable Trade Piece from Toronto?