In a game that Alfonso Soriano called a “must win” (with a wink), the Cubs ended a billion game losing streak. In Spring Training. The battles:
- Mike Fontenot continued to perform significantly better than Aaron Miles. Fontenot went 2-3 with a homer and a walk. Miles, playing short and third (telling?), went 1-3.
- Micah Hoffpauir, playing a little right and first, went 2-4 with a double. The bench situation, however, gets more complicated by the day.
- The Bako also went 2-4, and Joey Gathright scored three times. Double grumble.
- Chad Gaudin started, and had something of a redeeming outing (against the Royals, mind you). Two scoreless innings, one hit, no walks, one K.
- Jeff Samardzija followed Gaudin with three innings: one earned run, two hits, and a couple of strikeouts.
Succeeding in the Offseason, Lineup Context, Lester Helps Contreras, Pat Gets the Call, and Other Cubs Bullets
Winter Meetings, Wednesday Night: What’s Happening with the Shortstops? Correa or Swanson? Cubs and Murphy? More
Mahomes and Allen Carve a Path for Fields, Draft Stock Arrow Points Up, That’s Why They Call Him Rap Sheet, and Other Bears Bullets
Domi’s Chicago Fit, Reichel’s Shootout Beauty, Considering Thompson’s Huge Night and Development, Davidson Talks WJC, and Other Blackhawks Bullets