The Chicago Cubs played a couple of split squad games yesterday – they were stomped by the Brewers in one, and they beat the White Sox in the other. Tons of battles on display:
- Jeff Samardzija, hoping to claim one of the two open rotation spots, started against the Brewers and was blasted for four earned runs on five hits and a walk in two innings.
- James Russell continued his scoreless pitching streak, throwing one and two thirds without giving up a run – though he did allow a couple of hits and a walk. If he keeps performing, he’s really going to make things tough on Lou Piniella, given that there are already three lefties presumed to making the bullpen/back-end of the rotation (Grabow, Marshall, Gorzelanny).
- Speaking of Tom Gorzelanny, he started against the White Sox, and gave up one earned run in three innings, while striking out four. He didn’t give up a hit, but walked three.
- Thomas Diamond, who has an outside shot to make the club, threw a couple of scoreless innings with a walk and a strikeout.
- On the offensive side, Bryan LaHair’s chances of making the bench are diminishing after another 0-fer performance. He’s hitting under .200 on the Spring.
- Tyler Colvin, on the other hands, continues to hit. He played center field against the Brewers, and had a couple of hits, including an RBI triple. Sam Fuld, Colvin’s presumptive competition, went 0-5 while playing left field against the Sox.
- Kevin Millar played first base against the Sox, and went hitless with a couple of walks. Micah Hoffpauir got a little action late at the same spot, and didn’t knotch a hit. He’s hitting under .100 on the Spring.
- Both Mike Fontenot and Jeff Baker played against the Sox, Fontenot at second and Baker at third, and Fontenot went off for three hits and an RBI. Baker had one hit and an RBI.
Hendricks Questions and Concerns, Chirinos Exits, Adam Returns, Schwindel’s Value, and Other Cubs Bullets
Backyard Football, Fields of Excitement, Fantasy Impact, Defensive Star-power Shining, and Other Bears Bullets
It’s Training Camp Day! Roster Reveal, Position Battles, Reichel Mic’d Up, Eichel Drama in Buffalo, and Other Blackhawks Bullets