The Chicago Cubs are now 1-7 in the games that would have been started by Randy Wells and Andrew Cashner. If they split those games instead, they’re 15-13, in a virtual tie atop the NL Central standings. God’s wrath, indeed.
- Chicago Cubs General Manager Jim Hendry is singing a familiar, but totally correct, tune: “The one thing we really need to improve on, obviously, is hitting better with men in scoring position.” It’s been a story for going on four years now – the Cubs “hit” a lot better than they “score.” The reason is always hard to put a finger on, as stat-guys tend to eschew any suggestion that “clutch” hitting actually exists. But when you watch a team, collectively, be un-clutch for a few years in a row, your gut starts to tell you otherwise.
- Oh, and Jim, you could also improve the back-end of the rotation. Just sayin’.
- Speaking of which, Mike Quade is saying exactly what you would expect him to say after James Russell once again failed to go five innings, and once again failed to give the Cubs a reasonable chance to win: “It’s tough, one pitch away from a great outing or a little bit of a disaster. He’s gotten better. His approach is better. We’ll see what happens down the road.” Awesome. With an off-day coming up, the Cubs might be able to push back the fifth spot a bit, at least.
- Ted Lilly still doesn’t understand why the Cubs decided to dump him last year rather than sign him long-term. “It didn’t get very far,” Lilly said. “I made it clear I was willing to get creative to try and stay. Once they made up their mind I needed to go, at the end of the day, I didn’t know how much they needed to dump on salary, or how much they were able to save. That’s what they wanted to do. I don’t know if it was money or what the real reason was.” Ted, my friend: it was the money.
- Lou Piniella says having family ownership of the Cubs once again will be the solution to the championship drought. Longer interview with Sweet Lou here.
Michael Badgley Joins Bears Practice Squad and is Immediately Elevated to the Active Roster to Replace Cairo Santos