A reminder that Boys of Spring has a vote going on for fans’ favorite Chicago Cubs blog, and there are a number of great choices. Check it out, and vote how your heart tells you…
- Geovany Soto continues to recover from a “minor” groin strain, which manager Dale Sveum is downplaying. “It’ll be several days until he’s in games,” Sveum said. “He’ll take some swings, but I wouldn’t expect him to be in playing shape for several days. It’s not that big of a deal, just a very minor thing. But this time of spring you don’t want to mess with that.” It’s impossible not to be nervous, but, yeah, this time of year, it’s commonplace to give guys extra rest. You’d be crazy not to.
- Presumed third starter Paul Maholm has been under the weather with the flu. I’m not sure how he’s expecting to win the bunt tournament now.
- Speaking of which, another chunk of the first round of the Cubs Bunt Tourney was played yesterday, with Joe Mather, Darwin Barney, Starlin Castro, Ian Stewart, Travis Wood, Jeff Samardzija, Randy Wells and Andy Sonnanstine winning, and Edgar Gonzalez, Bobby Scales, Jason Jaramillo, Matt Tolbert, Esmailin Caridad, James Russell, Chris Volstad and Manny Corpas losing. The first round could be completed today (featuring Kerry Wood versus Dale Sveum), but the tournament will extend into mid-March.
- Dale Sveum says Alfonso Soriano is looking good and “young” in practices so far, which can only be a positive sign. If Soriano stays healthy, he can still hit a bit. Even in last year’s down year, Soriano was still worth about 1.3 WAR. Just one year earlier? He was worth 3.1 WAR, or about how much Matt Garza has been worth in his average season. Comparisons like that are imperfect, but it’s something to remember.
- Fluff on Tony Campana and his valuable speed.
- Another set of MLBullets over at BCB, which focus heavily on the Ryan Zimmerman extension.
- Ian Stewart talks about coming to the Chicago Cubs (CSN Chicago):
MLBits: Judge Hits No. 62; Triple Crown Still Possible, Braves Clinch NL East, Postseason Bracket Set, More
Cubs Prospect Notes: Caissie is LOUD and Plays Burger Hero, Devers Decision, Mervis, Minor League Record, More
The Final Day is Here, Assad’s Success and Role, Cubs Connections to Sox Manager Search, and Other Cubs Bullets