Thanks to yet another Ryan Dempster bombshell this morning (the Braves have “moved on”), and thanks to the early game (11:35am CT, in which Dempster is scheduled to start), the Bullets are massively abbreviated today.
- Randy Wells, who went on the DL for Iowa a week or so ago, had arthroscopic surgery on his elbow yesterday, and will now likely miss the rest of the year. Like Ian Stewart, the Cubs will have a potentially difficult tender decision in the Winter with Wells. He made $2.71 million this year, in his first year of arbitration. He didn’t do anything to increase his value – even considering service time – so, if the Cubs tendered him a contract, he’s not likely to get more than about $2.75 million in 2013. Is that worth the risk? I doubt it. I think it’s more likely the Cubs will non-tender Wells, and see if he’s willing to come back on a lesser deal. That’s assuming he comes back well from this surgery.
- Matt Garza is likely to pitch on Monday, ONLY if he can throw effectively in a side session on Friday. He’s currently with his family back in Chicago while he and his wife await the arrival of their fourth child.
- Dale Sveum on Paul Maholm’s recent dominance: “Paulie is just one of those guys who has been around a long time. He’s somewhat coming into his own. We forget he had a 3.66 earned-run average last year. The wins weren’t there, but if you have a 3.66 earned-run average, you had a pretty good year. Take his first start away and one other one, and he has been pretty good for most of this year.”
- How about those Marlins? After years of terrible attendance, which the ownership claimed was in large part thanks to a crummy stadium, the Marlins finally got their new stadium, borne on the backs of those fans they didn’t have. Then they went spend crazy this Winter to put asses in the seats, and now, thanks to a weak first half, they’re dismantling. I can only imagine the disaster zone that the seats will look like next year.
- The MLBullets at BCB mostly focus on the trade zaniness of the last few days.
Lukewarm Stove: Happ “Expected to Hit the Market,” a Record Setting Ohtani Extension? Castillo and the Starting Pitcher Market, More
The Hawks Have a New Coach, Jonathan Toews Running? Bergeron Back in Boston, and Other Blackhawks Bullets