- On last night’s moves, the Paul Maholm/Reed Johnson trade has been announced by the Cubs, but the Geovany Soto deal (to the Rangers for AA pitcher Jacob Brigham) hasn’t yet been officially announced (it involves a threshold amount of money going to the Rangers, so it requires Bud Selig’s perfunctory sign-off). When everything is said and done, on the roster move front, you can expect Casey Coleman to come up, as well as Welington Castillo. The Cubs will probably bring up a 4o-man roster outfielder, which may or may not be Brett Jackson. He was pulled from last night’s game at the same time the Maholm/Johnson deal went down, but apparently the Cubs have suggested he’s not getting called up just yet. Instead, you might look for someone like Dave Sappelt to come up.
- Ryan Dempster says there are no hard feelings between he and the front office over last week’s failed trade to the Atlanta Braves (about which GM Jed Hoyer laughed a bit with reporters late last night). “Not at all,” Dempster told reporters. “They’ve got a job to do. They’re trying to do what’s best for the Chicago Cubs and I understand that. They’ve been honest with me, it seems like. I’m just trying to do what I can to continue to do my job as a player, and that’s to get ready to pitch.”
- Dempster further humanized himself, discussing the trade season’s impact. “The thing is, there are tons of rumors and tons of speculation all the time,” Dempster said. “This is something that I have tried to keep very close to me just so that it gets handled the best it can. Sometimes there are rumors that are true and sometimes there are rumors that aren’t, but I can’t control that. I can just control what I can do that that’s be as prepared as I can to do my job and try to handle things the best I can. I’m not perfect. I’m a human being and will make mistakes. I won’t handle everything the right way every time, but hopefully I can learn from any mistakes I do make and try to be better for it next time.”
- Darwin Barney has won the “Heart and Hustle Award,” which I can only assume is another name for the “Scrappy Award.” I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve it, of course, because he’s been all kinds of full of heart and hustle this year.
- I mentioned it last evening, but here’s Dale Sveum’s full quote on Matt Garza’s bullpen session yesterday: “It was better than I imagined. It was a normal bullpen. He threw all his pitches, [had] velocity, extended himself with his slider and curveball and changeups. It went extremely, extremely well.” Extremely!
- Jeff Passan – have I mentioned I like reading this guy? – draws up a nice Theo/Cubs/deadline/fire sale/rebuilding piece for your perusal throughout the day.
- SCarlosenfreude: Carlos Zambrano has been moved to the bullpen in Miami. There isn’t a Gatorade cooler within 45 miles that is safe.
Succeeding in the Offseason, Lineup Context, Lester Helps Contreras, Pat Gets the Call, and Other Cubs Bullets
Winter Meetings, Wednesday Night: What’s Happening with the Shortstops? Correa or Swanson? Cubs and Murphy? More
Mahomes and Allen Carve a Path for Fields, Draft Stock Arrow Points Up, That’s Why They Call Him Rap Sheet, and Other Bears Bullets
Domi’s Chicago Fit, Reichel’s Shootout Beauty, Considering Thompson’s Huge Night and Development, Davidson Talks WJC, and Other Blackhawks Bullets