Hooray! The Cubs won a game for the first time in about a week. As it could be come regular season time, though, the long-awaited win came at the hands of the meh Padres.
- The Cubs went homer crazy today, with each of Dioner Navarro, Jorge Soler, and Christian Villanueva going deep. For Villanueva, it was his third homer already this Spring – and those have been his only three hits this Spring. It’s funny (and ultimately meaningless, because of the sample size and competition), but one of the main concerns with respect to Villanueva ever becoming a big league regular is the potential for a lack of power at third base.
- Cubs batters had 10 hits in all today, but just one walk. I guess you don’t need to walk too much if the pitchers are groovin’ ’em. The lone walk was Logan Watkins’, by the way.
- It should be noted that the Cubs’ bats were largely stifled for the first four innings of the game by Jason Marquis (whose ability to dominate in the first half of the season apparently extends into Spring Training). Andrew Cashner also threw a scoreless inning, so apparently it was a great day for all former and current Cubs.
- Scott Feldman had a mixed day leading off for the Cubs’ pitchers: 3 IP, 2 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 3 K.
- Travis Wood followed up with yet another great outing, though. He went four scoreless innings, struck out six, and allowed just four base runners. The only ding was that he walked three. Often that’ll come back to bite ya. … unless you strike out six, I suppose.
- Carlos Marmol threw a completely uneventful inning, allowing nothing, striking out no one. You’ll take that.
- Michael Bowden, on the fringe of the bullpen competition, gave up an earned run on two hits in his inning of work. His Spring ERA is still under three, though.
Lukewarm Stove: Yankees Make a New Offer to Judge, Cardinals at “Forefront” for Contreras? The Starters Want to Get PAID, More
All – Well, Many – Eyes on Bellinger Today, MVP Winners, Hendricks Health, Umpire Patches, and Other Cubs Bullets
Lukewarm Stove: Verlander’s Price Tag, Yankees Feeling Good About Judge, Wong as a Trade Target, Nimmo Taking Meetings Personally, More
Around the NFL: LaFleur Speechless After Packers Loss, Titans OC Arrested for DUI, No Snow Day in Buffalo, More