Spring Training Miscellany: Cubs 9, Royals 9 – March 27, 2013
The Cubs managed to swing a tie last night with a five-run 8th and a two-run 9th after being down big early. It was a bit of a crazy game, and the Cubs were down early because …
- Scott Feldman got blasted again. Like blasted. He gave up 12 hits (1 walk) in just 4.1 innings, and seven earned runs. That includes four homers. Yowsa. I’m sure he’s ready to get the hell out of Arizona, and hope that the cooler, damper air of Chicago will help his game considerably.
- None of the Cubs relievers had a great game, though only Michael Bowden and Zach Putnam gave up an additional run each, everyone was giving up base runners. The only bright spot? Although Cubs pitchers gave up an hilarious 19 hits, they walked just two. Then again, if you’re getting hits like the Royals were, there’s not much point in waiting for walks.
- David DeJesus tripled, extending his Spring hitting streak to 14 games.
- Dioner Navarro had another couple hits to round out his very productive Spring.
- Nate Schierholtz went 2-2 off the bench, and stole a base to boot.
- Anthony Rizzo technically was ejected in the 9th for arguing balls and strikes. I say “technically” because it was the 9th inning of a Spring Training game.
- The Cubs’ Cactus League schedule ends today, at HoHoKam, the last time the Cubs will call the park home.
Spring Training Miscellany: Velazquez Walks It Off for the Cubs with a No-Doubter! (And Some Other Less Happy Stuff)
Spring Training Miscellany: Sampson’s Best Day, Not So for the Bats, Madrigal’s Glove, Reliever Competition, More
Assad Dominant Again and Raising More (Good) Questions, Mervis Returns, Sticky Stuff, Kilian’s Confidence, and Other Cubs Bullets
Spring Training Miscellany: Cubs Kinda Split the Day, Wesneski, Bellinger, Swanson, Mervis, Relievers, Much to Discuss