It was another busy weekend around these parts, and here’s a heads up on what you may have missed …
Friday, July 25
- In the afternoon, I updated the Wrigley renovation latest, which was mostly a there-is-no-update-but-here’s-why-that’s-an-update kind of thing.
- Sahadev Sharma reported that the Cubs would have a significant contingent of folks taking in free agent outfielder Rusney Castillo’s workout the following day in Miami.
- The latest from the Lukewarm Stove was a menagerie of rumors.
- The Cubs beat the Cardinals in a wild one, which was a lot of fun. The big league games weren’t fun the rest of the weekend, so relive this one.
Saturday, July 26
- There was a pretty significant change in the Hall of Fame voting procedures.
- The Cardinals married up with A.J. Pierzynski, because of course they did.
- Addison Russell homered twice, which was totally groovy.
- The Giants picked up Jake Peavy from the Red Sox for a couple pitching prospects.
- In a surprising move, the Cubs sent top reliever Neil Ramirez to Iowa and replaced him with Blake Parker. It was just about giving Ramirez a breather.
Sunday, July 27
- We talked about Jake Arrieta’s “bad” outing, which was actually fantastic, and says very good things about his future.
- Russell homered again, and Javier Baez joined him twice over.
- Luke wrote about something unprecedented happening in the Cubs’ minor league system.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo’s workout went well, according to third parties, and just about every team was there to watch.
MLBits: Judge Hits No. 62; Triple Crown Still Possible, Braves Clinch NL East, Postseason Bracket Set, More
Cubs Prospect Notes: Caissie is LOUD and Plays Burger Hero, Devers Decision, Mervis, Minor League Record, More
The Final Day is Here, Assad’s Success and Role, Cubs Connections to Sox Manager Search, and Other Cubs Bullets
Bulls Housekeeping, Dragic’s Ugly Debut, Taking Notes From Javonte, Defensive Concerns, and Other Bulls Bullets