With Spring Training underway, there was a lot more going on this weekend than there has been in recent weeks …
Friday, February 20
- If you missed the discussion, BA’s top 100 prospect list is out, and, yes, there are a ton of Cubs prospects. We also had a separate discussion of various prospecting items.
- MLB finally announced the pace of play changes it’ll be putting into place for the 2015 season. They’re modest, but should make at least some difference.
- The Cubs’ 2015 TV broadcast schedule is out!
- I collected a wide range of updates from Mesa, where pitchers and catchers, and a ton of early-reporters, are getting to work.
Saturday, February 21
- The Cubs have a new owner – well, technically it’s an old owner, and it’s not really an owner. That is to say, South Bend Cubs owner Andrew Berlin is now a minority stakeholder in the big league team.
- Tsuyoshi Wada – and the cutter he’s working on – got a lot of attention in Saturday’s Bullets.
- There was a Lukewarm Stove on Saturday, because there was too much rumor-y stuff to wait until Monday. And it’s late February! This offseason has been nuts.
Sunday, February 22
- Theo Epstein spoke on a range of topics, but most notably about what’s going to happen with Welington Castillo, and if/when the Cubs will make another significant pitching addition.
- The Cubs have a ton of flexibility in the way their bullpen is deployed, even if Hector Rondon is locked in as the closer.
- A late-night MLBits to round out the weekend, feature an MLB player who is now known as Melvin. And you’re wondering who it is. That’s what they call a “tease” to entice you to check it out. Nailed it.
Cubs Prospect Notes: Smokies Win, Horn and Martin Cruise, Herz Working on the Wildness, Instructs Underway, Wesneski Special Stuff, More