So, this weekend – from a Cubs baseball perspective – kind of sucked. If you missed out on the games, you missed out on some disappointment.
But there was a lot going on …
Friday, May 1
- Javier Baez is back at AAA Iowa.
- In Friday’s Bullets, among other things, we talked about the Cubs’ approach at the plate.
- I looked at the Cubs’ startling lack of double plays so far this year.
- Luis wrote about the Cubs’ incredible roster turnover in the last few years.
- There’s reportedly a big rule change in MLB, with drafted players now eligible to be traded immediately after the World Series.
- With the arrival of May, I looked back at where things stand with the Cubs. Their schedule has been pretty tough so far.
- The Reds announced that righty Homer Bailey is going to get Tommy John surgery.
- The Cubs managed to beat the Brewers 1-0 on Addison Russell’s first big league homer.
Saturday, May 2
- Looking back at Jon Lester’s great start from the day before.
- Jorge Soler has been struggling with his discipline at the plate, so Joe Maddon tried to give him a boost by leading him off.
- The outfield renovations at Wrigley are coming along nicely.
- Luis wrote about Kris Bryant’s influence on the Cubs’ lineup.
- Nothing went right for the Cubs in Saturday’s loss – both in terms of bad luck, and in terms of their own bad performance.
- Logan Schafer’s grounder to shortstop that wound up a “home run” pretty much summed the day up.
Sunday, May 3
- The offense is unquestionably struggling, but things will ebb and flow.
- Things have been going well in the minor leagues so far, and we’ve got the video to prove it.
- Justin Grimm is beginning a rehab assignment at AAA Iowa, which is great news.
- And there’s another reliever in the mix, with the Cubs claiming Anthony Varvaro on waivers, and DFA’ing Joe Ortiz.
- The Cubs lost a real nut puncher on Sunday to close out the weekend. Aramis Ramirez played the part of Brewer hero.
Winter Meetings Wednesday Afternoon: LAD Out on Rendon, in on Lindor? WSH Out on Bryant? NYM, Marte, Nimmo, More