It was a good weekend for the Cubs, eh?
Friday, August 21
- Friday’s big news was the reveal that the Cubs will soon have a sponsor on the marquee at Wrigley Field.
- Jake Arrieta may lead the league in “wins,” but that’s not why he’s a stud.
- The Giants picked up their outfield a bit after the Hunter Pence injury by trading for Marlon Byrd.
- Starlin Castro reportedly reached revocable waivers finally, but that doesn’t necessarily mean too much.
- Luis looked at Dexter Fowler, who’s quietly been one of the 10 best players in all of baseball the last month.
- They weren’t Cubs homers, but they were two homers you really need to see.
- The Cubs fell behind early, but managed to bring in a win against the Braves.
Saturday, August 22
- The Cardinals and Pirates both lost on Friday, and I got into a discussion about the value of passing the Pirates to lock in home field advantage in the Wild Card game. It matters.
- Dexter Fowler’s defense has been solid this year, and it’s worth a look.
- The Saturday morning Bullets discussed, among other things, why early swings aren’t always a bad thing.
- Albert Almora walked things off for the Tennessee Smokies. He’s been extremely good in the second half.
- The Cubs pulled off an incredible comeback to beat the Braves 9-7.
Sunday, August 23
- Those four homers the Cubs hit to win on Saturday were actually pretty remarkable in that none would have left most ballparks.
- The Cardinals got blown out on Saturday, which brought the Cubs another game closer in the Central, which is worth discussing.
- The Sunday morning Bullets talked about Dan Haren’s primary issue.
- A couple great homers to watch from Javier Baez and Dan Vogelbach.
- Thanks to another explosion of homers and a good outing from Jason Hammel, the Cubs pulled off the sweep against the Braves.
- You were reminded the join today’s fantasy baseball contest – $300,000 on the line.
MLBits: How About Those Guardians? Big Weekend for Contenders, Facing Scherzer *and* deGrom, Field of Dreams Transition, More
Big Anniversaries Today, Contreras’s Ankle, Wick’s Role, Hughes’ Development, and Other Cubs Bullets
Willson Contreras Got Hurt Rounding Second Base and He’s Out of the Game (UPDATE: Actually, He’s Somehow Staying In?!)
Braxton on the Rise, Fields Finds Tight Ends, Brady Takes a Break, Refs Are Ruiners, and Other Bears Bullets