The weekend had at least a few big moments …
Friday, September 25
- The Cubs are headed to the playoffs, and what do their odds look like to continue on once they get there?
- Joe Maddon isn’t ruling out a bullpen day in the playoffs, though let’s talk about what that actually means.
- The Cubs couldn’t quite pull out the comeback win.
Saturday, September 26
- At just about the stroke of midnight, the Cubs officially clinched a playoff spot.
- The Pirates shut out the Cubs for a 4-0 win on Saturday.
- But the Cubs still had a huge party to celebrate their playoff clincher.
Sunday, September 27
- I would like to see the Pirates overtake or tie the Cardinals.
- How about enjoying the moment?
- Mike Trout made the most amazingly smooth home-run-robbing catch, and holy crap.
- Jonathan Papelbon went after Bryce Harper in the Nats’ dugout, and holy crap.
- Carlos Martinez’s season is over.
- Jake Arrieta dominated the Pirates and the Cubs avoided the sweep.
MLBits: How About Those Guardians? Big Weekend for Contenders, Facing Scherzer *and* deGrom, Field of Dreams Transition, More
Big Anniversaries Today, Contreras’s Ankle, Wick’s Role, Hughes’ Development, and Other Cubs Bullets
Willson Contreras Got Hurt Rounding Second Base and He’s Out of the Game (UPDATE: Actually, He’s Somehow Staying In?!)
Braxton on the Rise, Fields Finds Tight Ends, Brady Takes a Break, Refs Are Ruiners, and Other Bears Bullets