I gotta tell you … I’m not looking forward to raking leaves. I like the fall and everything, but give me mowing the lawn any day. Even shoveling, I think, is preferable.
- Joe Maddon discussed his decision to go with Jon Lester in NLCS Game One over Jake Arrieta, and it seems primarily about (1) each pitcher potentially getting two starts anyway, and (2) getting an extra day of rest – both physical and emotional – for Arrieta (Cubs.com). And again, I say: it’s not like Jon Lester isn’t also very good. He’ll be starting on about a week of rest, and Arrieta will get the extra day. Remember, Arrieta’s innings are way up over where they were last year – 176.2 last season, and he’s up to 243.2 this year.
- More from Joe Maddon on the Addison Russell injury and his replacement in the starting lineup, Javier Baez (CSN, Cubs.com). Maddon revealed yesterday that Russell will not be available for the NLCS.
- Great stuff from Patrick Mooney and Miguel Montero on the Cubs’ transformation of Trevor Cahill, from a guy who was – in his own words – “in a place where I didn’t think anybody wanted me [and] was pitching batting practice in Triple-A,” to a guy who is pitching some of the most meaningful innings in the last several decades for the Cubs. He’s been very, very good. Also, he got thrown out at first on a would-be single that one time. Remember that? That was funny. And it’s OK to think it was funny, because he’s been very, very good.
- Among the many things Jake Arrieta did very well this year: inducing weaker contact. He was the best in the NL at it, according to Tony Blengino.
- If you missed it later yesterday, an important discussion about qualifying offers and how they’ll impact the Cubs.
- The AFL is underway.
- The happiness in the Cubs’ universe abounds right now, and it’s everywhere:
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) October 16, 2015
Lukewarm Stove: deGrom’s Wants Atlanta? Selling Free Agents on the Cubs’ Future, Biggest Sellers/Buyers, Contreras Suitors, More
How the Cubs Targeted and Unlocked Narciso Crook – And What It Might Say About an Organizational Advantage
Yesterday’s Game Made History, Winning and Player Development, Smyly’s First Rehab Outing, and Other Cubs Notes
DeBrincat Trade Concerns, Colliton on Chicago Tenure, Grier Makes History, and Other Blackhawks Notes