Not like yesterday’s totally serious, winner-take-all affair.
The Cubs lost 8-1 to the Mets in Las Vegas (Box Score), as a final tune-up for their final tune-up on Sunday before they open the season on Monday. Yes. I’m very ready for Monday.
- Jason Hammel got in his four innings of work, and although he was in some jams, he did manage to strike out six, walk only one, and give up only one earned run. I’ll say the same thing now that I said when Hammel had a bad outing this spring (which was the same thing I said when he had good outings, too): we’re just not going to know much about where he’s at until we get into the season. If he’s commanding the fastball down in the zone, he’s gonna be good. If he’s elevating, even slightly, he’s gonna get smacked around. We’ll see.
- After Hammel, it was an inning-by-inning stream of minor league pitchers, from C.J. Riefenhauser to Andury Acevedo to Michael Jensen to Michael Wagner to Felix Pena. Each of the five are legitimate potential future bullpen guys for the Cubs, though none are especially high on the pecking order right now. Riefenhauser could see time in the bigs if the Cubs need a lefty at some point, but it’s also possible Manny Parra would be the first guy to get a crack at that kind of opening.
- Offensively, the Cubs’ regulars exited promptly in this one, so it was a combination of youngsters and AAA depth pieces getting the bulk of the action. Tommy La Stella’s double was the Cubs’ only extra-base hit of the day.
- Albert Almora made a great catch in center field, as he does, if you missed it.
- Not too much more to say about this one. If you’re feeling itchy for the regular season, I’m right there with you. Enjoy the weekend, and let’s get nuts on Monday.
- … not that I won’t still be around all weekend posting things. I will be. I live here.
Stroman and Defense, Happ’s Power Surge, Checking in on Traded Relievers, Rizzo Gets Screwed, and Other Cubs Bullets
Canada, Sweden Finish WJC Prelims Strong, Thorny Rose Takes a Shot at Barclays, College Hockey Buzz, and Other Blackhawks Bullets
The Roster Shuffle Begins: TE Rysen John and LB Noah Dawkins Waived to Make Way For OL Corey Dublin and DB Jon Alexander
Here Come the Cuts, Velus and Kyler Return, Loving Long-shots, Large Lincoln, and Other Bears Bullets