Cubs Minor League Daily: Jimenez and Candelario Getting Noticed, Contreras Homers
Baseball America has released their latest Prospect Hot Sheet, a weekly report of the best performing prospect across the minors, and topping the list is none other than South Bend’s Eloy Jimenez. Jimenez earned the honor by hitting .385/.484/.846 with three doubles and three homers over the week, but it is worth noting that his line for the month of May (over 100 PA) reads .387/.430/.667.
Strikeouts remain the biggest concern with Jimenez, but even in that category he has been looking more impressive of late. His strikeout rate for the month of May has dipped under 20%, and for a nineteen year old in the Midwest League with his power, that rate is acceptable.
But Jimenez wasn’t alone on that list. Checking in at number six we find Jeimer Candelario with a weekly line of .440/.500/.720. Candelario got off to a slow start, but in the past few games he’s been making up for lost time. Always a patient hitter, his natural power is once again playing up in games. If he can maintain his Double A success for a few more weeks, a mid-season promotion to Iowa seems likely.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa 6, Albuquerque 1
Seven thousand fans were almost treated to something special. Albuquerque did not get a hit until the seventh.
- Drew Rucinski: 8 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Spencer Patton: 1 IP, 1 K
- Arismendy Alcantara: 1 for 5, 2 SB
- Willson Contreras: 1 for 5, HR
- Albert Almora: 1 for 4, 2B
- Matt Murton: 3 for 4, 2B
- David Bote: 1 for 4, HR
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Chattanooga 6, Tennessee 5, eleven innings.
The Smokies tied it in the eighth, but did not score any more after that.
- Paul Blackburn: 5 IP, 5 R, 6 H, 3 BB, 2 K
- Starlin Peralta: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 K
- Josh Conway: 2 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Chesny Young: 3 for 6
- Jacob Hannemann: 2 for 5, BB
- Jeimer Candelario: 2 for 5
- Billy McKinney: 2 for 3, 2B, 2 BB
- Victor Caratini: 1 for 4, 2B
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Wilmington 3, Myrtle Beach 1
Stinnett pitched well in this one, but the bats had a tougher time of it.
- Jake Stinnett: 7 IP, 3 R (2 ER), 5 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Daury Torrez: 2 IP, 2 K
- Ian Happ: 0 for 2, 2 BB
- Yasiel Balaguert: 0 for 2, 2 BB
- Shawon Dunston: 0 for 3, SB
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 4, Lansing 2
The Cubs struck out eleven while striking out just five times themselves.
- Ryan Kellogg: 6 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 8 K
- Casey Bloomquist: 3 IP, 3 K
- Donnie Dewees: 0 for 4, BB, SB
- Ian Rice: 2 for 3, 2B, BB
- Eloy Jimenez: 2 for 4
- Tyler Alamo: 2 for 3, 2B, BB
- Matt Rose: 3 for 4, 2B
The highlights from the Iowa game feature a couple of homers, including a Contreras shot that would fit right in with the mashers on the Major League lineup: