Weekend Catch-Up: Weird Baseball, Series Win, Rumors Floating, More
The Cubs beat the Diamondbacks twice out of three tries, and a couple interesting rumor-type-things floated out. If you missed anything, catch up …
Friday, June 3
- Friday’s Bullets included bits on Dexter Fowler’s defense, Ben Zobrist’s offense, and much more.
- Javy Baez had himself a game, and is making tremendous progress.
- The Cubs are reportedly still considering their bullpen options, and Andrew Miller’s name came up again.
- Guess who’s really good? Kyle Hendricks.
- Tom Ricketts spoke publicly about the ongoing plaza dispute.
- The draft is coming, and there hasn’t been a ton to say about the Cubs in that respect for obvious reasons.
- The Cubs opened up their weekend set with the Diamondbacks by shutting them out.
Saturday, June 4
- The latest from around the Cubs’ farm system.
- The Cubs’ lead in the NL Central continues to swell tremendously.
- John Lackey was great, which is pretty much the case for the entire Cubs rotation.
- The two teams pulled the trigger – James Shields from the Padres to the White Sox.
- The Cubs beat the Diamondbacks 5-3 to lock up the series.
Sunday, June 5
- The Cubs’ big hits from Saturday’s game were plenty of fun.
- Plenty of encouraging signs from Jason Hammel and Hector Rondon, too.
- Willson Contreras is blazing hot, as are the Iowa Cubs.
- The odd rumor of the weekend had the Cubs among teams interested in Jose Bautista, should the Blue Jays become sellers.
- For the second time in as many starts, the Chicago Cubs did not win when Jake Arrieta started. Which is strange enough, but the game was strange, too.
But What About a Happ Extension, Suzuki Defense, Busy Day, Rucker, Replay Timing, and Other Cubs Bullets
FOLKS! The Cubs Are in “Advanced Discussions” on a Nico Hoerner Extension!!! (UPDATE: It’s Happening!)