Grandpa Rossy Votes Cubs and Other Bullets
The Wife and I are enjoying our trip to New York so far, with about eight miles of walking (and one ferry ride) in the books, and many more miles on tap for today. This is what we decided to do for our 10th anniversary/pre-baby-arrival. We are cool.
If you want to see a little more from the trip, if you’re into that kind of thing, add me on Snapchat: bnbrett.
- The first couple rounds of the draft went off last night, and the Cubs just sat there doing nothing like a bunch of bums. No, they didn’t have any allotted picks, but couldn’t they at least have made a big trade or something? Oh, wait, they did make a trade yesterday.
- Speaking of that trade, I wonder if it’s a little awkward, on a personal level, communicating the deal to and with Chris Coghlan. He’d put it all together with the Cubs for two years, but was then essentially traded so that the Cubs could bring back Dexter Fowler instead (which, in fairness to the Cubs, made a great deal more sense for positional and lineup reasons (which is to say nothing of how Fowler has performed this year and how Coghlan has performed this year)). On the day the Cubs sent Coghlan out, Fowler walked onto the Spring Training back fields to a delighted group of players – it was an incredible scene, and kinda underscored how quickly Coghlan – who, again, had been extremely good for the Cubs in 2014 and 2015 – was let go. Now he’s back, and that’s great, but, like I said, I just wonder if there’s a little awkwardness about the whole thing on a personal level.
- Coghlan will likely be with the Cubs tonight when they open up their series against the Braves, as Tommy La Stella is expected to hit the disabled list with a hamstring injury (remember when Travis Wood strangely pinch ran for La Stella in the 9th inning of Tuesday’s loss to the Phillies? Yeah, the hamstring was why). Jesse Rogers indicates the injury “isn’t deemed serious,” so hopefully it’ll be a minimal stint for La Stella.
- On the draft, make sure you check out Luke’s Day Two preview, and also MLB.com offers up some of the better names still left on the board.
- The Cardinals’ top pick yesterday had previously failed a PED test, which set some folks off about the pick.
- I. Am. Dying:
Give Grandpa Rossy credit. He’s trying to #VoteCubs.
Use modern tech for your ballot: https://t.co/wC3poPnfykhttps://t.co/BncvKzuAzc
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) June 8, 2016
- When he says his name and asks to vote for the Cubs … I lose it. It’s been a great year for Ross (who, himself, actually has a borderline All-Star argument), and he’s leaving open the tiniest crack in the door for a return in 2017, even if he tells the Tribune the plan is still to retire.
- A very thorough 170-piece mechanic’s tool set at Amazon normally $206 is just $79.99 today only.
Phillies First Baseman Rhys Hoskins Just Went Down on a Non-Contact Injury, Had to Be Carted Off (UPDATE: ACL)
Spring Training Miscellany: Cubs Thump the Diamondbacks, Wesneski Cruises, Thompson, Mastrobuoni, More