What a tremendous shift our world has taken such that a win yesterday by the Cubs feels like the only thing – the only, delicate, wonderful thing – that could possibly have happened this weekend …
Friday, July 8
- The latest from the rumor mill included Theo Epstein conceding that the Cubs will be looking for a reliever AND a starter this trade season.
- As Luke noted, the Cubs have had quite a run of middle infield prospects.
- I couldn’t help but wonder in the Friday morning Bullets whether Cubs fans are being asked to repay a cosmic debt.
- Michael dropped a set of Prospect Notes for your Friday afternoon consumption.
- The Cubs had it close with the Pirates, but let it slip away late.
Saturday, July 9
- The Red Sox and Diamondbacks got together on a deal for reliever Brad Ziegler.
- Baseball oddities from Luke’s Minor League Daily.
- Jake Arrieta had rough results on Friday, but the performance, itself was not altogether horrible.
- The Cubs officially announced 21 draft signings.
- Dexter Fowler decided to sit out the All-Star Game, and will continue his hamstring rehab after the break.
- The Cubs sent Jeimer Candelario back to AAA, and called up Munenori Kawasaki.
- The Cubs had a chance early on, but wound up losing big to the Pirates.
Sunday, July 10
- The South Bend Cubs pulled off a seven-run ninth inning to come back and win, which made everyone smile.
- Among many items from Sunday’s Bullets, you can chop up the Cubs’ season however you please to make whatever point you please – but the performances, and the overall record, are all that remain.
- The win! Yes, the win. The Cubs battled back and forth with the Pirates, managing to hold on to a one-run win.
- Eloy Jimenez played in the Futures Game … a description that really doesn’t do what he did justice.
Obsessive Top Shortstop Watch: Is It the First Big Move for the Cubs? Yankees’ Possible Pivot, Other Teams Being Annoying, More
Role for Higgins, No Competitive Balance Pick for the Cardinals, Projections on the Reds and Pirates, and Other Cubs Bullets
Lukewarm Stove: Red Sox Still Have a Shot at Bogaerts, Guardians Want Murphy, Relief Market About to Open, More
Around the NFL: Bills Statement Win, Antonio Brown in Trouble Again, Ja’Marr Chase Back for AFC Championship Rematch, More
Fields “Looks Like Himself” in Return, Rodgers Plan, Nagy’s Other Legacy, Beware of Slay’s Kindness, and Other Bears Bullets