What a tremendous shift our world has taken such that a win yesterday by the Cubs feels like the only thing – the only, delicate, wonderful thing – that could possibly have happened this weekend …
Friday, July 8
- The latest from the rumor mill included Theo Epstein conceding that the Cubs will be looking for a reliever AND a starter this trade season.
- As Luke noted, the Cubs have had quite a run of middle infield prospects.
- I couldn’t help but wonder in the Friday morning Bullets whether Cubs fans are being asked to repay a cosmic debt.
- Michael dropped a set of Prospect Notes for your Friday afternoon consumption.
- The Cubs had it close with the Pirates, but let it slip away late.
Saturday, July 9
- The Red Sox and Diamondbacks got together on a deal for reliever Brad Ziegler.
- Baseball oddities from Luke’s Minor League Daily.
- Jake Arrieta had rough results on Friday, but the performance, itself was not altogether horrible.
- The Cubs officially announced 21 draft signings.
- Dexter Fowler decided to sit out the All-Star Game, and will continue his hamstring rehab after the break.
- The Cubs sent Jeimer Candelario back to AAA, and called up Munenori Kawasaki.
- The Cubs had a chance early on, but wound up losing big to the Pirates.
Sunday, July 10
- The South Bend Cubs pulled off a seven-run ninth inning to come back and win, which made everyone smile.
- Among many items from Sunday’s Bullets, you can chop up the Cubs’ season however you please to make whatever point you please – but the performances, and the overall record, are all that remain.
- The win! Yes, the win. The Cubs battled back and forth with the Pirates, managing to hold on to a one-run win.
- Eloy Jimenez played in the Futures Game … a description that really doesn’t do what he did justice.
Cubs Prospect Notes: Smokies Stay Alive, Perlaza’s Game-Winning Catch, Canario Does It Again, New Catcher Signing, Sleeper Starting Prospect, More
MLBits: Wong’s Big Night Keeps Brewers in the Mix, Wild Card Races Heating Up, the Fastest Pitch of Season, Betts, Yanks, More
The Importance and Value of Optionable Relievers, Alzolay’s Non-Curveball, Morel Still Kind, and Other Cubs Bullets
Blackhawks’ Leaders Speak, Camp Opens with Injuries, Rockford’s Rebrand, Early ’23 Draft Buzz, and Other Blackhawks Bullets