Cubs Minor League Daily: More Praise For Eloy Jimenez
The latest edition of the Baseball America Prospect Hotsheet features none other than newly Number One on the Top 40 Eloy Jimenez. For the week in question, his slash line of .481/.500/.778 makes his selection an easy one.
Jimenez isn’t the only one to win praise this week. Fellow outfielder D.J. Wilson of Eugene also makes the cut with a weekly line of .625/.625/.875. Wilson got off to a slow start this season, but lately his bat has started to heat up nicely. He has a lot of potential, so much that Baseball America dropped an “impact tools” description on him, but he has a lot of work to do. Watching Wilson progress these next few years could be rather fun.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
New Orleans 3, Iowa 0
The Cubs were limited to just three hits.
- Miguel Mejia: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB
- Corey Black: 1 IP, 2 K
- John Andreoli: 1 for 4
- Jeimer Candelario: 1 for 3
- Munenori Kawasaki: 1 for 3
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Montgomery 3, Tennessee 1
Skulina pitched a pretty good game.
- Tyler Skulina: 7 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 4 BB, 7 K
- Lane Adams: 1 for 4
- David Freitas: 1 for 4, 2B
- Kelly Dugan: 1 for 2, 2B, BB
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 5, Carolina 1
If you like good pitching of the low strikeout variety, then this is the game for you.
- Jonathan Martinez: 6 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 3 BB, 2 K
- Craig Brooks: 1 IP, 2 BB
- Pedro Araujo: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Tommy Thorpe: 1 IP, 1 K
- Charcer Burks: 1 for 4, HR. That’s the tenth of the season for Burks.
- Bryant Flete: 2 for 4, 3B
Low A: South Bend Cubs
Fort Wayne 4, South Bend 3 in fifteen innings.
After scoring in the sixth, the Cubs were held scoreless for the final nine innings.
- Oscar De La Cruz: 5 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 1 BB, 9 K. He threw 69 pitches, 45 for strikes.
- Jared Cheek: 3 IP, 1 H, 5 K
- Andruw Monasterio: 3 for 6, 2B, 2 SB
- Adonis Paula: 2 for 4
Short Season A: Eugene Emeralds
Eugene 3, Vancouver 2
The big news is the guy who started the game for the Emeralds.
- Dylan Cease: 1.2 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 3 BB, 3 K.
- Andin Diaz: 2 IP, 3 K
- Robert Garcia: 2 for 5, 2B
- Yeiler Peguero: 1 for 4, 2B
- Chris Pieters: 2 for 2, 2 BB
- Tyler Payne: 2 for 4
- D.J. Wilson: 2 for 4, 2B
Rookie: Arizona Cubs
Dodgers 11, Cubs 4
The Cubs led by four after two. Unfortunately, they had to play another seven innings.
- Yapson Gomez: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Tolly Filotei: 1 for 3, 2 BB, SB
- Kwang-Min Kwon: 1 for 3, BB
- Isaac Paredes: 1 for 5, 3B
- Gustavo Polanco: 2 for 5
- Jhonny Pereda: 3 for 4
- Regular readers of the Minor League Daily have probably never seen the name Lane Adams before. Adams is a right handed hitting 26 year old center fielder the Cubs signed as a minor league free agent a few days ago. He had been released from the Yankee farm system on July 28. When he’s at his best he boasts a pretty good OBP, but his success at the plate in the upper levels of the minors has been inconsistent.
- The short outing for Dylan Cease was planned, and according to the Emeralds PR people he was still throwing pretty hard when he left. It looks like his control is still a little off, but for now the main thing is that he is back on the mound.
- Would you like to see the tenth home run of the season for Charcer Burks? Of course you would: