That was a good weekend for the Cubs, as they swept the A’s out in Oakland …
Friday, August 5
- Former Cubs starter Mark Prior wrote at length about his playing days, including his thoughts on how Dusty Baker handled his health.
- Early on Friday I wondered how soon Jorge Soler might be back with an AL series looming and how the Cubs would accommodate his return. Sure enough, Soler joined the Cubs that evening, and Joe Nathan was DFA’d to make room.
- Luke wrapped up his excellent mid-season top 40 prospect update with some final numbers and reactions.
- We’ve become used to the 162 game schedule, but a shorter season may be under consideration in the new CBA.
- A bunch of Cubs prospects notes, including how Mark Zagunis’s season may unfortunately be over.
- Baseball America spoke to many managers and coaches to come up with MLB’s best tools, which was littered with Cubs.
- The Cubs handled the A’s comfortably in the series opener.
Saturday, August 6
- In that game, I missed Jorge Soler’s return because reasons, and that return included a rocket homer in his first at bat. Naturally.
- Cubs outfield prospect Eloy Jimenez keeps raking, and thus keeps collecting praise.
- The Cubs’ overcrowded roster is a good problem to have, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t need a solution.
- Another ridiculous Javy Baez play to add to the vault.
- The Cubs shut out the A’s 4-0 on Saturday.
Sunday, August 7
- The Cubs are very likely to have playoff-bound teams at every single level of the organization except AA and AAA.
- After their crazy win a week ago, the Cubs haven’t lost. Anything to that?
- In Saturday’s start, Jake Arrieta didn’t just overwhelm the A’s, he also overwhelmed this father and son.
- And the Cubs wrapped up the sweep of the A’s behind another stellar pitching performance from Kyle Hendricks.
Cubs Prospect Notes: Smokies Stay Alive, Perlaza’s Game-Winning Catch, Canario Does It Again, New Catcher Signing, Sleeper Starting Prospect, More
MLBits: Wong’s Big Night Keeps Brewers in the Mix, Wild Card Races Heating Up, the Fastest Pitch of Season, Betts, Yanks, More
The Importance and Value of Optionable Relievers, Alzolay’s Non-Curveball, Morel Still Kind, and Other Cubs Bullets
Blackhawks’ Leaders Speak, Camp Opens with Injuries, Rockford’s Rebrand, Early ’23 Draft Buzz, and Other Blackhawks Bullets