The Wife is taking all three kiddos to a friend’s house for some play time, and I’ve been tasked with a very specific duty: clean my office. I’ll confess, it’s a bit of a wreck. Part of that is because it became a repository for crap that we didn’t want sitting out in the open in the rest of the house, but a big part of it is my life-long penchant for stacking things in “I will deal with that in a moment” piles. It’s become a bit overwhelming, particularly as the arrival of a new baby and the lengthy postseason run gave me reasons (mostly legitimate, and a little bit excuse-y) to put things off.
And now the chickens come home to roost.
- A minor league signing to note, as the Cubs have inked a deal with righty Seth Frankoff, according to the man himself. Frankoff, 28, was a long-time A’s farmhand before latching on with the Dodgers last year. He spent most of last season in the bullpen, and most of his time at AA, posting a solid 21.9% K rate and a very solid 5.7% BB rate. What’s interesting is that Frankoff, who’d pitched exclusively in relief since 2012, began making starts for the Dodgers’ AA squad later in the year, and his results were pretty darn good. Given that turn, I can’t help but wonder if (1) he figured out/refined a new pitch, (2) he was one of the rare highly-sought-after minor league free agents, and (3) he will keep starting in the Cubs’ system. It’ll be interesting to see what the Cubs plan to do with him come Spring Training. At a minimum, he’s additional upper level depth, with the potential for some surprise upside. The one statistical concern you notice when reviewing his numbers? Three times Frankoff reached AAA, and all three times his strikeout rate plummeted.
- The Arizona Fall League concludes today with a championship game between the Mesa Solar Sox (the team that features Cubs prospects) and the Surprise Saguaros. The game is at 2pm CT, and it will be shown on MLB Network and streamed on MLB.com. Missing Cubs-related baseball action? Well, there you go.
- Speaking of the AFL, if you were wondering how Tim Tebow’s season wound up going, it went about as expected: extremely not well.
- Kris Bryant is in a new Red Bull spot, going to work as the Cubs celebrate their World Series victory. The MVP even cracks a green apple – a nod to Harry Caray’s famous season wrap up in 1991 – while taking some swings at Wrigley Field:
- Jeff Passan writes at length about the world of Cuban player defection and smuggling into the United States (Jorge Soler was recently named as a possible witness in a legal case about this very thing). Hopefully as relations between the US and Cuba continue to normalize in the coming years, these scary situation, rife with opportunism and fraud will fade.
- A variety of outdoor sports game-type-stuff is a deal of the day at Amazon, some of which could make for solid holiday gifts. Amazon has also started its Countdown to Black Friday deals week, so there are lightning deals going on pretty much at all times in advance of Black Friday.
- Also for the holidays, a certain ornament: