For decades, although Wrigley Field was synonymous with a great place to watch a baseball game, you weren’t going to hear much in the way of compliments about the pedestrian food options.
I can’t say I ever really minded – get me my dog, get me my nachos, and I’m fine – but perhaps that’s because I didn’t know what I was missing. The Cubs were late to the wave, but in the last half-decade, the organization has gone to great lengths to improve and diversify the food options at the ballpark (Hot Doug’s in center fielder, for the win).
Now they’re taking it a step further, announcing this:
Good luck beating this impressive lineup.
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) May 24, 2017
The Chicago Cubs and hospitality partner Levy are launching a rotating “Chef Series,” presented by Maker’s Mark. From the release: “World-renowned, award-winning Chicago chefs will dish up dynamic, chef-inspired takes on ballpark fare during a rotating pop-up series in the recently refreshed Sheffield Counter on the main concourse.”
“When you think of Chicago’s best chefs, the award-winning names participating in our Chef Series rise to the top,” Senior VP Strategy and Ballpark Operations Alex Sugarman said in a statement. “Since the inception of our restoration project, our food and beverage offerings have improved dramatically, and we’re honored these elite chefs will advance those efforts with their unique culinary approaches.”
Each chef will serve up signature menus “inspired by their favorite ballpark eats,” with a rotation that begins June 2.
The Chefs, per the release:
- Stephanie Izard: Iron Chef and Top Chef winner, and James Beard Award recipient, Izard will appropriately keep with the goat culinary theme found at her renowned Chicago restaurants Girl & the Goat, Little Goat Diner, and Duck Duck Goat in early June
- Matthias Merges: Acclaimed chef and owner of some of Chicago’s most eclectic neighborhood restaurants, Merges will infuse flavors from his culinary hotspot Yusho and award-winning bar Billy Sunday in late June and early July.
- Jeff Mauro: Host of Food Network’s The Kitchen and Pork & Mindy’s executive chef and partner, Mauro will bring his creative BBQ chops and sandwich prowess in late July.
- Rick Bayless: 2017 James Beard Outstanding Restaurant recipient and lauded TV host, Bayless will bring his highly acclaimed Mexican flavors to the ballpark in early August.
- Graham Elliot: Award-winning chef, restaurateur, television personality, and cookbook author, Elliot’s menu will showcase his take on classic American cuisine in mid- and late-August.
For more info, you can head over to the Cubs’ site.