Did you take the holiday weekend off? If so, you may very well still be on something of a vacation.
But you still might be checking in on what happened around here the last few days …
Friday, June 30
- We just passed a fun 10-year anniversary: the magnificent Aramis Ramirez walk-off homer.
- Among other Bullets on Friday, we were happy about the split in the Nationals series.
- Enjoying Jeimer Candelario’s first big league homer.
- From around the league, Justin Verlander might finally be traded, among other things.
- How the Cubs were set to sign two top IFA prospects despite being in the penalty box.
- In search of the Cubs’ 2017 identity … is it simply “adversity”?
- Kris Bryant returned quite quickly from his ankle injury.
- The Cubs got absolutely nothing going against old friend Scott Feldman.
Saturday, July 1
- Another good outing for Dylan Cease, who is performing like the Cubs’ top pitching prospect he is.
- Mike Montgomery gave up some runs, but his start was actually quite good – as they all have been for him this year.
- Ben Zobrist returned to the Cubs, with Mark Zagunis heading to Iowa.
- The Cubs got out to an early lead, but couldn’t make it stick on Saturday.
Sunday, July 2
- Kyle Schwarber is getting his work in at Iowa, where he homered four times in two games.
- Sunday marked the open of the new IFA period.
- Sunday’s Bullets include ruminations on whether the Cubs could turn into sellers.
- Aided by a couple Ian Happ homers, the Cubs finally beat the Reds.
- The All-Star announcement was anticlimactic as far as the Cubs went, as Wade Davis is the only rep, with Kris Bryant in the Final Vote.
REPORT: Freddie Freeman Fired His Agent Because the Agent Never Even Told Him About the Braves’ Final Offer
Lukewarm Stove: Should Cubs Target Josh Bell? Marcus Stroman Not Tradable? Trea Turner’s Preferred Destination? More
Darnell Mooney is Possibly a Year Away From Getting a Big Honking Extension (Like the One Terry McLaurin Just Got)
Rumor Roundup: Orlando Emerges as Front-Runner for Bulls’ Big Target, Knicks All-in on Brunson, Sign-And-Trade for Ayton? Beal, Simons, More