Sweep! Sweep! Sweep!
That’s what the Cubs did this weekend against the Blue Jays, and although the games weren’t all easy, the Cubs did manage to pull them all out.
Friday, August 18
- A fun way to start the weekend, with a Cubs outfield prospect hitting a walk-off homer to break up a perfect game.
- Justin Verlander popped back up in connection to the Cubs.
- The Cubs’ bullpen is terrifyingly walk-happy.
- As Jon Lester and Justin Grimm headed to the DL, Rob Zastryzny and Felix Pena came up.
- Updates on Lester, Russell, and Contreras injuries.
- Around the league, Wainwright is hurt, Stanton wants the “real” HR record, Chapman lost his job, and more.
- The Cubs kicked off their weekend set with a 7-4 win over the Blue Jays.
- Javy Baez gave the Cubs a little breathing room in the game with a moonshot homer.
- The win also came with the help of Baez’s insane play in the 9th inning.
Saturday, August 19
- As Luke notes in the Minor League Daily, the Cubs have been especially free of drug suspensions this year.
- The Cubs picked up another catcher, this time defense-first back-up Rene Rivera.
- Jake Arrieta just keeps spinning good starts, among Saturday’s Bullets.
- The Cubs and Jose Quintana held down the Blue Jays.
- During Saturday’s game, the Blue Angels buzzed Wrigley Field, and David Ross separately jumped out of a plan.
- And for the second straight game, Javy Baez made a play that leaves your jaw on the floor.
Sunday, August 20
- A couple Cubs pitching prospects got shot up from A-ball to AAA.
- Ian Happ had a rocket homer, and has had a successful, even if up and down, rookie season.
- The Cubs made a couple roster moves, adding Rene Rivera and Koji Uehara to the roster.
- Among Sunday’s Bullets, Wade Davis keeps cruising toward a record, the umps were protesting, and more.
- The Cubs managed to come back in the bottom of the 10th inning to beat the Blue Jays and lock up the sweep.
- And here’s how Alex Avila walked it off, with Javy Baez’s beautiful slide.
Hughes’s Very Long Rookie Season, Miley’s Injury, One-Run Games, La Russa Done, Castillo, deGrom, and Other Cubs Bullets
Kosuke Fukudome is Finally Retiring from Baseball – Some Nice Cubs Message Were Included in His Ceremony
White Sox Fans Booed Javy Báez All Night – He Let Them Know He Heard It With a 410-Foot, Three-Run Homer
Richardson’s Vision for Lines, Veterans Mentoring, Athanasiou’s Role, Camp Catch-Up, and Other Blackhawks Bullets