Yesterday saw Eugene open their series with a win, and Arizona … who it turns out hasn’t quite won the Arizona Rookie League title yet after all … dropping Game Two of that best of three series on an unearned run in the ninth.
Today we should see the conclusion of the Arizona League Championship Series (for really reals this time!!!), game two of the best of three first round of the Northwest League playoffs, and the first game of the suddenly accelerated Carolina League playoffs.
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The rain bumped yesterdays Game One into today. Michael Rucker is still the scheduled starter for the Pelicans at Down East.
And that’s not the only change. See below.
- Jose Albertos: 5.2 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Elvis Diaz: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- Jake Steffens: 1.2 IP, 2 K
- Zach Davis: 1 for 4, SB
- Austin Filiere: 1 for 4, 2B
- Gustavo Polanco: 2 for 4
- Chris Singleton: 1 for 3, 2B
- Brailyn Marquez: 3.2 IP, 4 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- Jose Gutierrez: 1 for 4, HR, BB
- Nelson Velazquez: 1 for 4, 3B, BB
- The looming arrival of inclement weather in the form of Hurricane Irma has led the Carolina League to change the best of five first round playoff series into a best of three. Game One, weather permitting, will be today at Down East. Games Two and Three (if necessary) will be on Friday. As for the league championship series? No announcement has been made yet. I suspect the when and where (and if) for that event will be confirmed once we know the when, where, and if of Irma’s arrival.
- Willson Contreras will be rehabbing in Myrtle Beach during the playoffs, something that could cause a bit of controversy if he plays particularly well. And while I get the frustration for the fans of the other team, rehabbing players is part of why the minor leagues exist. I have no problems with major league players rehabbing during the minor league playoffs.
- Contreras is due to play in Game One and Game Two, and after that we’ll see … assuming the series goes past Game Two, that is. Hopefully for his sake, there are no further delays in the games.
- The first round of the Northwest League Playoffs is a best of three, so Eugene has a chance to clinch a spot in the championship series tonight. They send Jesus Camargo to the mound in Hillsboro.