Spring Training Miscellany: Padres 7, Cubs 5 – Montgomery Starts, Contreras Mashes, No Walks
The Cubs’ stranglehold on the Cactus League is perilous, to say the least. After YET ANOTHER LOSS OMG today to the Padres, the Cubs are just a half-game ahead of the Brewers atop the Cactus League standings. I joke, of course, about the gravity, but here’s hoping the Cubs have a little more breathing room when the second half of the regular season rolls around.
Box: https://t.co/z3PDrqbA5g #SpringTraining pic.twitter.com/KoIadk9XwJ
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) March 13, 2018
- The Cubs got an early four-run inning in this one, capped by Willson Contreras’s mooooonster home run, but there wasn’t much doing after the regulars departed. Contreras had been out for nearly a week with a fever, so it was particularly nice to see him looking well.
- Albert Almora ripped a double in that four-run inning as part of a two-hit day:
- Using a minimal volume of pitchers in this one, the Cubs got 3.2 innings out of starter Mike Montgomery, 1.1 out of Dario Alvarez, and another 3.0 out of Rob Zastryzny. Each pitcher gave up two or three runs, but, hey, they didn’t issue a single walk, while striking out eight.
- Jen-Ho Tseng was also supposed to be there in Peoria to pitch, but either just didn’t get in for whatever reason, or wound up not able to go.
- Montgomery might not get starts in the regular season right out of the gate, but he’s clearly still being at least slightly stretched out here in the middle of Spring Training. A little look at Montgomery catching Wil Myers just hanging out:
- The Cubs play again tonight, by the way:
Tonight is our first game under the lights this #SpringTraining season! Game starts at 7:05 p.m. pic.twitter.com/3wLjmJGZCm
— Sloan Park Mesa (@SloanParkMesa) March 13, 2018
- A totally unrelated plug, if you’ll indulge me:
You know what? It's been a great day for the Bears, @lcm1986 is killing it at TYL, and we're just 200 followers away from 8000. So I'm gonna ping you folks one more time: follow our sister site @TheTenYardLine for your BN-like Bears goodness. You will be happy you did. pic.twitter.com/LiB7OxUemx
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) March 13, 2018