Extensions, fastballs, split squad days, and more from the weekend in the Cubs’ world. Catch up on the headlines …
Friday, March 16
- The Cubs’ pitching infrastructure is their secret weapon, Tyler Chatwood gets a surprising label, and other Friday Bullets.
- Looking at the Cubs’ bullpen competition after the release of Justin Grimm.
- Some initial odds out of Las Vegas, including Kris Bryant number two in the MVP race.
- The Cubs’ business president got into a range of topics, including Wrigley’s readiness for next month.
- Hopefully Pedro Strop will see game action soon, but Opening Day is still a question mark.
- Mark Zagunis and Dillon Maples were cut from big league camp.
- The Astros gave Jose Altuve a huge extension that’s gonna move the market a bit. And the Reds extended Eugenio Suarez on a really interesting deal that will also move the market in a different way.
- The Cubs beat the White Sox behind Yu Darvish and a Willson Contreras bomb.
Saturday, March 17
- Notes from around the league, including the Cardinals’ plans for their top young arm, and much more.
- Joe Maddon talks bullpen, Yu Darvish maybe hits 98 mph, and other Saturday Bullets.
- In the first game of the day, the Cubs fell to the Indians, but Javy Baez returned healthy.
- In the nightcap, Jose Quintana dominated, and the Cubs hit a trio of homers.
Sunday, March 18
- It didn’t take long for Justin Grimm to find a new home.
- The Cubs had a really, really good week of starting pitching in Spring Training.
- The Cubs played another double dip, losing them both on the backs of some dodgy pitching.
- But Jason Heyward made a great catch.
- Willson Contreras hit a monster homer.
- And Kyle Schwarber enjoyably tried to score from second base on a wild pitch. So there were things.
New York Mets Keeping Brandon Nimmo on Another Whopper of a Contract (UPDATE: Also Signing David Robertson)
Succeeding in the Offseason, Lineup Context, Lester Helps Contreras, Pat Gets the Call, and Other Cubs Bullets
Mahomes and Allen Carve a Path for Fields, Draft Stock Arrow Points Up, That’s Why They Call Him Rap Sheet, and Other Bears Bullets